Why become a member? ×

lh500 FT
£170

aLxbass

So today arriving at rehearsals i notice my guitarist went out and invested in some pretty hot amp gear which is amazingly loud. So i am kinda wanting to knock him back down a peg or two by trading this amazing amp for its big bro. The lh1000. Would consider a straight sale to fund for the lh1000 also. Pick up only. Wv12 area

Alex

Edited by aLxbass

if you were closer id be over with the beer tokens in my sweaty paws

apologies if teaching to suck eggs but have you tried a second cab? most guitairist will look at a single 4x10 with a 'meh' look of contempt and just turn up a bit more but when they see two 4x10's its visually much more intimidating :D

the second cab pulls the full power rating from the amp and iy will be noticeably louder - i only use hartke2500 head at moment and with single cab it copes ok with pub gigs (unless guitarist keeps turning up of course) - but add an extra cab and it becomes a trouser flapping monster!

Edited by steve-bbb

In rehearsals i do only use the one ashdown cab provided by the studio thats rated at 450w. I own two hydrive 410s. It may be a ball ach but i was consider dragging along one of my cabs to add to it :P but last night i have everything turned up full. And i mean everything! And his bloody guitar amp was destroying me haha!

if only it wasnt so big! haha.

ill add one of my cabs in on next rehearsal see how it goes. we are not gigging at the moment we are prepping towards it, hence his new amp. so i havnt yet tested my two hydrives to their full in a gig situation as i havent had them that long :P

these talks of ohms blow my mind!
i dont have a clue how it all works, i expect to get a cab, plug in my amp and boom be away with it :P

having my set up.. LH500 & 2 X Hydrive 410 cabs, i thought that this would use the full 500w that my amp has to offer by sending 250w equally to each cab, am i right or am i wrong? :P

Anyway, so... if at rehearsals i add one of my hydrive cabs to the ashdown, will that pull all 500w from my amp?

[quote name='aLxbass' timestamp='1377375800' post='2186936']
these talks of ohms blow my mind!
i dont have a clue how it all works, i expect to get a cab, plug in my amp and boom be away with it :P

having my set up.. LH500 & 2 X Hydrive 410 cabs, i thought that this would use the full 500w that my amp has to offer by sending 250w equally to each cab, am i right or am i wrong? :P

Anyway, so... if at rehearsals i add one of my hydrive cabs to the ashdown, will that pull all 500w from my amp?
[/quote]

Yes you're absolutely right. If you can't hear yourself with 8x10" speakers then you need to tell your guitarists to calm the hell down. I easily overpowered two of the loudest guitarists I'd ever come across with a GK 7000RB II (480w) and two Ashdown Mag cabs. MAG I tells ya B)

If you think you need 8x10"s for rehearsals then you need a new band cos that's bloody silly. A single 4x10 and 350w from my Ampeg is more than enough with twin guitarists

Maybe more watts isn't the solution . . . My LH500 easily keeps up with two heavy guitarists and drummer who clubs seals in his spare time! Try adjusting your EQ, maybe your frequencies are clashing and you're not cutting through. Guitarists will always be louder (sadly) we just have to work around them ;-)

To be honest.. he wasnt like crazily loud compared to a casual rehearsal. You could still hear the drums and vocals easily. Its just that i felt i couldnt give anymore. Even though i turned up quite abit more then usual.. i didnt feel the difference. Even my band mates said i was as loud as i was playing full then i was the previous week playing a like 6. So im not to sure. Maybe the cab could be packing up?

Second cab and turn up a bit, that's absolutely ridiculous that it won't keep up. I've been doing outdoor gigs this weekend with my LH1000, and yesterday at one of them the sound engineer asked me to turn down, which was entirely fair enough as I knew it was a bit loud... it was turned up to 3! As others have said, if the 500 won't keep up at rehearsal levels, you need a new band. My rehearsal amp is a Superfly and the 2x10, I'd be lucky to see 200 watts out of that at 8ohms and it's fine!

This sounds like a classic case of "not figuring out the Hartke LH500/1000 eq section" syndrome.

Turn the mid right up full, stick the bass and treble between 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock to taste and see what happens.
If youre running the mid much below that you are introducing a mid scoop which will result in perceived volume loss.

Just search this forum for LH500 and you'll see its a common thing - its just a slightly different sort of eq that isnt immediately obvious. I had a similar response when i tried my first one in a shop. Now i own one and its a fantastic and loud amp.

[quote name='aLxbass' timestamp='1377374317' post='2186919']
ill add one of my cabs in on next rehearsal see how it goes. we are not gigging at the moment we are prepping towards it, hence his new amp. so i havnt yet tested my two hydrives to their full in a gig situation as i havent had them that long :P
[/quote]

Seriously, consider the venues you will be playing - if you think you need a 1000w amp and an 8x10 for pub/club gigs, you really, really don't. Bigger venues you'll be going through the PA, so you still don't need a rig that big IMHO.

Sounds to me like your guitarist should've bought a smaller amp ;)