Why become a member? ×

Strings echo - has anyone else had this?

Grangur

Hi All,

I've got a jazz bass (see avatar) and I've recently noticed that when playing I get a buzz in the background through the combo.

It happens each time I pluck a string. If I'm not playing it stays quiet. It also doesn't happen on any other bass I own, just this one.

Something I've done recently is add a series/parallel switch. I don't know if it did this before I added the switch, but I have noticed that when switched to series mode the echo is louder.

It's possible it could be the addition of the switch that's caused this, but others have this switch and (presumably) don't have this issue?

Many thanks for reading

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Grangur

it's like a quiet hiss in the background. It happens with my Roland cube. It's not loud and in the noise of a band it probably wouldn't notice.

It could be just me being unbearably fussy.

What happens is you pluck the string and after the sustain subsides this "echo hiss" continues for up to a second, then dies.

Edited by Grangur

If you think it might be related to your new mod double check your solder joints. Visually inspect them to see if any look duller than the rest then reheat if so. If they all look ok then you could feed a tiny bit of fresh solder into each joint to refresh it and increase their flux content.

I used to have massive problems with this forum's "new" software conflicting with IE (no return key being just one of them). The admins denied any problem existed. Although after switching to Firefox for here I find most of the issues have gone away.... absolutely sucks balls via mobile still though.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1377157592' post='2183981']
If you think it might be related to your new mod double check your solder joints. Visually inspect them to see if any look duller than the rest then reheat if so. If they all look ok then you could feed a tiny bit of fresh solder into each joint to refresh it and increase their flux content.

I used to have massive problems with this forum's "new" software conflicting with IE (no return key being just one of them). The admins denied any problem existed. Although after switching to Firefox for here I find most of the issues have gone away.... absolutely sucks balls via mobile still though.
[/quote] - This is an IE problem. MS change the software and the guys who write the forum software don't update all the time. In IE, click "Tools", "Compatibility view" this fixes it - I remembered this this morning after posting. I then edited the post :)

Aye that fixes it a bit. But try using the spell checker and it goes bonkers inserting multiple characters or removing words. Never had one problem with it back in the day... but that was before the dos attack or whatever it was that inspired the change (I can't say upgrade) in s/ware.

[quote name='BOD2' timestamp='1377166224' post='2184125']
Does the Roland Cube have a compressor or noise gate effect on it ?

If so, then try switching those off to see if that makes any difference.
[/quote]
The Cube does have them. Prety sure they're switched off, but I'll check tonight. Many thanks. Maybe I should go and try some amps out.

That sounds like the signal processing of a modeling amp. I think they all do it to some extent. The signal processing probably "gates" itself once it decides there is not enough signal to process anymore. I've certainly noticed similar on a Line6 Studio 110, can't remember about the cube, that was too long ago!

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1377198647' post='2184751']
Possibly a damaged string core?
[/quote]
Many thanks, but it's on all strings.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1377361571' post='2186750']
That sounds like the signal processing of a modeling amp. I think they all do it to some extent. The signal processing probably "gates" itself once it decides there is not enough signal to process anymore. I've certainly noticed similar on a Line6 Studio 110, can't remember about the cube, that was too long ago!
[/quote]
You're probably right. It's probably me being to critical. It's not really noticeable unless you stop playing and really listen. In a gig it wouldn't notice.

Thanks all the same guys.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1377161995' post='2184031']
Aye that fixes it a bit. But try using the spell checker and it goes bonkers inserting multiple characters or removing words. Never had one problem with it back in the day... but that was before the dos attack or whatever it was that inspired the change (I can't say upgrade) in s/ware.
[/quote] Have you tried Google chrome ? I use it on here and have no issues whatsoever :)