Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever used PA full range top as an extension cab?

itsmedunc

I've been searching for a small footprint extension cab for ages. Then I remembered I have some 2x10 Turbomax pa tops 450w at 8ohm. I have just tried it out with my little Redsub 500w combo. It puts out 250w per side and requires an 8ohm extension. So with the combo speaker that's 3x10's running at 4ohms which should give me maximum output. I have also tried it with my little Promethean 300w combo which is similar in requirements. It sounds really well. Has anyone any thoughts about the setup? Thanks...

Not such a compact set up but......
Last year when a "mate" took 8 months to repair my Ampeg bass cab I used two full range pa speakers we had spare...you know the sort....heavy as hell ...15"" driver plus horn in each .....with my Ampeg BR head ....the sound was FABULOUS!

in fact it prompted me to buy an extra 1x15 cab (A trace.... bought off the basschat forum) so I now have two 1x15" cabs as my rig albeit a tad easier on the back!

Edited by Raymondo

Hi thanks for that, this setup sounds fab! The actual floor space taken up is only about 14 inch square. Plus being wedge shaped it will make a great floor monitor if needed. I can't believe I have been looking that long and the answer may well have been on my doorstep all along!

Edited by itsmedunc

Ive never thought of doing that......but may try it now. I've just bought a Hartke HA3000 (off here) and paired it up with a Hartke 410 8 ohm cab so I'm not getting the full amp potential yet. I was going to start looking for a 115 cab but after reading this post its made me think I have 2 Yamaha 300W 8 ohm PA speakers I use for my club singing, so I suppose I could use one of those added to my Hartke set up

I've used full range PA cabs almost forever for my bass rig.

You need to be careful - cheapo cabs don't tend to handle the bottom end too well and can be harsh sounding but good full range cabs coupled to a clean sounding head is the closest you're likely to get to the sound of a bass DI'd into the desk in the studio.

Tends to not be so good for folks who don't like too much top end zing in their sound.

I now use Acme Sound LowB2's which *are* purpose built bass cabs but very much fit in with the full-range, hifi ethos.

Cheers

Ed

Did it years ago when my cab managed to get locked in a rehearsal room for the weekend. After much panicking we remembered we had a spare set of full range 8ohm PA cabs. Quickly tested it in our singers garage with an old Paeavey Mk3 head and it sounded great. Took it to the gig and it sounded fantastic. Used them several times after that too.