Why become a member? ×

Doodle-bass

neepheid

When is a Celebrations tin not a Celebrations tin?

When it's a home made double bass :)

As an amusing sideline (I have been working on the other stuff, don't worry), I decided to have a go at building one of these:

[url="http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/doodle-b.htm"]http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/doodle-b.htm[/url]

I'm making some changes to the guy's design:

f holes instead of round holes
a real nut instead of the tacks
2+2 bass tuners (nicked from the sixer I butchered for the Zebrano Wideboy 5)
an angled back headstock

I've made the nut from a scrap of zebrano, and a bridge blank from some scrap rosewood.

Tonight I got the fretsaw out.

I guess deep down I'm as mad as a bag of frogs...

Nice, I like this design, it's knida like a bass version of those Cigar Box guitars :)

You can also make a one string Tin Can bass, takes about 20 mins, but the pick up method will work well for this.
[url="http://www.mcld.co.uk/oddmu/tincanbass/"]http://www.mcld.co.uk/oddmu/tincanbass/[/url]

Aye, I'm looking to make it electric by placing a couple of piezo transducers under the bridge. I guess that would make it an EUB :) I have more crazy ideas like putting on a smallish radius fingerboard to put the strings in a suitable place for bowing purposes, but I'll get it working as is first off then make adjustments like that later (or just make a new neck, it's only a piece of pine from B&Q after all).

Well, work begins - on the angled back headstock:

It slipped slightly during clamping, so I have about a mm of difference to sand out. I really ought to get a block plane some time.

I know I've done this the "wrong way round" (usually the join is further down the neck and the glueing surface is on the cut edge of the neck blank rather than the underside) but there's a reason for this - with no seperate fingerboard (at least not yet), I considered it both unsightly and the source of potential problems to have it there, hence the alternative construction. Despite having to mount tuners through the glued joint (whenever my 14mm drill bit arrives - been waiting over 2 weeks, grr) the lack of pull from the nylon strings means that I'm fairly confident that it won't put too much stress on the slightly weakened join. If I'm wrong, oh well I'll do another one.

Headstock veneered and shaped. Locations for tuning machines and nut slots marked.

The veneer was a little lacking in bonding at the top, so I sealed the edge with a little superglue. As a practice run for the Zebrano Wideboy 5, I think I need to use a little more glue, especially round the edges.

[quote name='Galilee' post='221114' date='Jun 18 2008, 09:05 AM']Looking more complicated that I expected.

:)[/quote]

Well, I did say I was adding some "flourishes" to his original design. Bear in mind that this is also some sneaky training for things to come on my Zebrano Wideboy 5 project (Headstock veneering, nut shaping and slot cutting, machine head fitting).

Just opened a dispute with the eBay seller who has failed to get a 14mm forstner bit to me in over 2 weeks. They said last week that they had sent it and would look into it and redispatch if necessary. Royal Fail muckup or not, it's still ridiculous, emailed them yesterday and the day before to see what was happening. Got no reply and I've had enough. Ordered one elsewhere, should get here tomorrow or Friday.

You're a perfectionist, that's all. I initially looked at the link you posted with the build instructions and the bloke said he'd built two in one evening after work, as I recall - hence my comment about complication. Truth be told, his probably both fell apart the following evening after work.....

:)

Forstner bit arrived. Tuners this weekend. I've also begun to taper the neck and provisionally cut the nut slots. If I decide how I'm anchoring the strings at the bottom then it could be up and running (acoustically) in the next few days.

Starting to look a bit more business-like:

I've finished tapering one side of the neck, but it's such a slow, monotonous job that I took a detour and fitted the tuners. Also discovered (although I kind of knew anyway) that my "strings" are too fat to fit in the tuners, so I'm going to have to pare the end down a little before I can put them in the tuner.

That's the neck tapering done, shaping the back comes next but I think I should get hold of something useful like a spokeshave or a surform - I'll be sanding for the rest of my life with sandpaper alone!

Tonight I went back to my youth for how to put my logo on the Doodle-bass. In keeping with the whole "home-made" vibe, I'm going to burn the logo into the wood with a soldering iron.

Just like branding steers, eh? Yeehaw!

Yep, that's my bass, I done gone branded it:

So, this is the story so far:

Next jobs - round the back of the neck, decide how to anchor the strings at the bottom, fabricate the bridge (rosewood blank is cut) then string it up and it should be acoustically finished. Flourishes after will be finishing, fitting an endpin and making it electric with piezo transducer pickups.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='226366' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:26 AM']Matt, I can totally see you sittin' on your front porch a playin' thayat thang.
Ah yes I can [url="http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/07/36/39/image_339367.jpg"]see[/url] it now. :)[/quote]

Yeah, with Cletus on drums and Billy-Bob on git-tar :huh:

Lovely job on that headstock and neck. It seems a bit sad and incongruous now that it's all attached to a Celebrations tin (although I guess that is kind of the whole point). How theoretically feasible would it be to attach the neck to (say) the body of an acoustic guitar or similar?

[quote name='Galilee' post='226510' date='Jun 25 2008, 10:21 AM']Lovely job on that headstock and neck. It seems a bit sad and incongruous now that it's all attached to a Celebrations tin (although I guess that is kind of the whole point). How theoretically feasible would it be to attach the neck to (say) the body of an acoustic guitar or similar?[/quote]

Heh, he's done that too: [url="http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/practice.gif"]http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/practice.gif[/url]

Personally, I think it looks daft though. I know what you're saying about the aesthetics though - I have looked at various alternatives for the "body". The version #3 one that the original guy made was with a big saucepan with the handles removed. A metal bowl of some sort would also be an alternative. The good thing about it is that the neck can easily be taken off and transplanted into something else - it's only held to the body at the bottom by a single screw. I'll get it working as is just now, but I suspect that it won't be all that loud acoustically. I've got an old skool Quality Street tin which is the same diameter but an inch or so deeper, which might help. I could always paint the tin...

If the acoustic sound isn't up to much, I might just ditch the body entirely and make it an electric stick bass.

I don't know if you remember the fruit bowl on my coffee table (actually I think it's a salad bowl) looks kind like [url="http://www.woodturneddreams.com/DREAMS%20018.jpg"]this[/url]. Well I'm looking at it and thinking that's what I'd use instead of a sweetie tin. Whack one of these on and while sticking to the ethos you elevated it's stature right off.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='226608' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:10 PM']I don't know if you remember the fruit bowl on my coffee table (actually I think it's a salad bowl) looks kind like [url="http://www.woodturneddreams.com/DREAMS%20018.jpg"]this[/url]. Well I'm looking at it and thinking that's what I'd use instead of a sweetie tin. Whack one of these on and while sticking to the ethos you elevated it's stature right off.[/quote]

I don't know if that specific one would be deep enough to make a decent acoustic sound, but something of that nature would look pretty nice. Like I said, I'll get it working with the sweetie tin first, then see how it can be improved.