Why become a member? ×

Doodle-bass

neepheid

Well last night I bit the bullet and made a new body. I managed to get my soundboard off the old body with some minor damage at the sides (one layer of ply came away along the grain on the underside). The neck is now as close to the top of the tin as I dare. Pictures later. Started to make the "tailpiece" by shaping one side of it to the side of the tin.

I also received some piezo transducers from Maplin. Despite 2 attempts to get them through my local store (they arrived with the central part torn at the solder joint) I ordered 6 (to make sure - they're like 50p each) in the hope that one or two came through the post unscathed, I received 7 for some reason and all are intact. Would you believe it? That's despite being "cushioned" by a can of Servisol Super 10 which acquired a crack in the lid during its journey! It's a funny old world.

probably a stupid question with an obvious answer... but why not glue the neck to the soundboard, so then you can just cut the shape of the neck out of the quality street tin and the neck is right at the very edge of the tin, being supported by the soundboard rather than the tin... if that makes any sense? (i know what i mean... its just difficult to explain)

anyway, its looking really good at the moment! this is a really interesting thread :)

[quote name='lwtait' post='244930' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:27 PM']probably a stupid question with an obvious answer... but why not glue the neck to the soundboard, so then you can just cut the shape of the neck out of the quality street tin and the neck is right at the very edge of the tin, being supported by the soundboard rather than the tin... if that makes any sense? (i know what i mean... its just difficult to explain)

anyway, its looking really good at the moment! this is a really interesting thread :)[/quote]

The soundboard needs to be free to vibrate in order to generate acoustic sound. It's not going to be terribly loud given the lack of surface area, but it'll be louder acoustically than a solid body bass unplugged.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='Buzz' post='402544' date='Feb 7 2009, 12:43 AM']*Ahem*

Bump for fun as this is a interesting build and I want to see what happened.

Hyuk![/quote]

I've been too busy playing lately because I've joined a band. However, I have made a start on shaping the neck.

• 2 weeks later...