Why become a member? ×

Japan Imports

sblueplanet

I've been looking at basses for sale in Japan lately. The price and shipping cost is often quoted but no one explains how to calculate customs duties or how it works.

Are you expected to go to a local depot to pay these taxes before collection? How much is the current cost for an imported bass instrument. Anyone know a rough estimate?

I looked into it about 3 years ago when I wanted a Jap '62 P off a dealer over there on ebay.
Yes you pay upon collection from a depot this end.
I can't actually remember how the costs broke down individually but I do remember that whatever you buy the bass for, plus shipping, expect to add about a quarter of that amount on again.

For a bass i think you should only pay import VAT and handling charge. The latter will depend on the shipping company, but the VAT, i think is the same as UK sales VAT. There's information on the HM Customs and Excise website, but i recall it being difficult to track down the actual rate you'll be charged at - it's different for different types of item.

Essentially budget for an extra 25% on top of the combined cost of the bass and the shipping.

How and when you pay will depend on who does the delivery here in the UK. If it's Parcel Force (which it has been every time I've bought a bass from Japan) you'll get a letter telling you how much VAT, import duty and handling charge you have to pay, and once you've paid the bass will be delivered to you.