Why become a member? ×

How far will the E string go?

John Cellario

We're trying to cover a Keb Mo song in the band I'm in which has a 5 string, with the bass line all played on a low B...trouble is I'm on a four string. I can take the E down to a D no problem but do you reckon I can get away going down to a B?...or will it sound too 'flubbery'?

Also, is it best to think of the note positions as they were, ... (G on the E string is now where a C was) or think in the 'new' notation?

Having owned 5s and 6s for years if I need to play anything as low as that I'll either just use the 2nd fret on the A string or 7th on the E or if I can get away with it use an octave pedal.

I've played "Everything" by Michael Bubble on many an occasion using a 4 string and it sounds just as good (the song's pi$h though)

Using a thick enough E and a light touch you can get it down to C but if you think about it you'd be playing your lowest string all the way up to the 9th fret before you could use any of the other strings unless you were playing octaves or something.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1376664093' post='2177653']
We're trying to cover a Keb Mo song in the band I'm in which has a 5 string, with the bass line all played on a low B...trouble is I'm on a four string. I can take the E down to a D no problem but do you reckon I can get away going down to a B?...or will it sound too 'flubbery'?
[/quote]

Why not try it and decide for yourself?

I've run a 100 gauge down to B..... and it was doable but you need a clean sound to start with as a poor dull string with not cope well down there sound-wise.
The tension is going to be pretty loose as well... but for a single song you might get away with it.

But you are now in 5st territiory and once you need to do that for a few songs, you might just as well suck up and get
a proper bass for it...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1376672144' post='2177856']
I've run a 100 gauge down to B..... and it was doable but you need a clean sound to start with as a poor dull string with not cope well down there sound-wise.
The tension is going to be pretty loose as well... but for a single song you might get away with it.

But you are now in 5st territiory and once you need to do that for a few songs, you might just as well suck up and get
a proper bass for it...
[/quote]

Agreed because the sound of the B string is a big part of a 5 stringer. It opens up a whole new world of sound from your 4 string

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1376678160' post='2178013']
If you are really set on keeping a four string bass, but want five string low notes, then why not get a set of five string strings and just not use the G string?
[/quote]

Rotosound (and I'm sure others) do a 4 string set with a 130 bottom string.