Why become a member? ×

Upgrading my combo

Delius

I've recently ordered a new bass so I figured what the hell, it's probably about time I treated myself to a new amp as well.

First things first - my budget is approx £500 (could stretch to £750 for the right second-hand deal I guess).

Currently I've got a Marshall BassState B150 combo, which I've had for about 15 years. It's served me very well, and I've had no complaints in that time except maybe I could do with a wee bit more headroom on the odd occasion I've had to play against a loudish band with no PA support.

The problem is - there's so much choice out there and I'm pretty clueless about what's what with amps these days.

Have been doing a lot of looking around, and the GK MB210-ii looks pretty good to me. In fact it looks too good to be true in terms of weight versus performance. Can such a lightweight amp really sound any good?? Is it a good bet?

Along a similar line, Ampeg Portaflex PF350 + PF210 looks interesting, if rather less powerful (actually from the photos the cab looks a bit flimsy).

I also see, for example, a lot of used Ashdown combos out there, and back in the day that was something I lusted after but then again I wonder why so many people are selling them if they're all that.

I'm not averse to getting a head+cab necessarily, but relative portability and ease of carrying are my prime concerns aside from budget.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to offer? Trying gear out is a bit difficult for me due to my location and an extremely busy summer. I'm not overly concerned about the exact sound, more about general oomph and reliability.

[quote name='Delius' timestamp='1376350327' post='2172790']
Can such a lightweight amp really sound any good?? Is it a good bet?

Along a similar line, Ampeg Portaflex PF350 + PF210 looks interesting, if rather less powerful (actually from the photos the cab looks a bit flimsy).[/quote]

The first point is "yes", amps have changed a LOT over the last 1o-15yrs and you'd be amazed what quality of sound comes out of things we wouldn't have given a 2nd look at back in the day.

Secondly the Ampeg Portaflex stuff generally gets raved about on here. I tried one in rehearsal and it was great. I even considered trading my Orange stuff in for the Ampeg but I think the Orange stuff is serving me well still (& more expensive). To be fair most things around now are superior to the older stuff and coming from me that's a surprising recommendation

There's a lot of great combos that come within your budget that fit your "oomph & reliable" requirements & also include lightweight & sound good too.

I'd have a look at MarkBass, Genz Benz & SWR (Super Redhead) for combos.
Another option is a small amp from someone such as MarkBass or TC Electronic that you can pop in a shoulder bag & get a good light 2x10 or 2x12 cab.

Best getting to a bas shop & ay through some gear to see what you like. :)

[quote name='Delius' timestamp='1376350327' post='2172790']

Have been doing a lot of looking around, and the GK MB210-ii looks pretty good to me. In fact it looks too good to be true in terms of weight versus performance. Can such a lightweight amp really sound any good?? Is it a good bet?

[/quote]

Yeah, as Burrito has suggested, you might be surprised. I haven't played through much GK stuff, though I like what I have tried, and their reputation is very good!

On the point of small bass amps, the last amp I tried destroyed all my preconceptions very quickly. It was a Mesa M3 Carbine combo with a huge wattage but just a single 12" speaker. I almost laughed when the guy in the shop showed me how small it was, but the sound was [i]enormous[/i].

If size is less of an issue, and you're just after something dependable, I've been quite loyal to Laney as my experience with them has been excellent. And you can get an awful lot of Laney for under £500.

Yes, new light amps are amazing. I was always a 410 minimum, probably a 412 or 410 & 210 player. Then my back got to the point where I needed to be a bit sensible. So I got a Markbass 1x12 combo and 1x12 ext cab. Bought them unheard - I`d already had Markbass gear so knew I liked the sound. Expected a bit of a compromise going down to just two twelves. No compromise at all, amazing set-up.

Best advice I`d have re brands is go and watch a few local bands, then when you hear a bass tone you like, check out the amp. That`s how I ended up using Markbass - every time I liked a bassists tone, it was a Markbass rig.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376399161' post='2173324']
Best advice I`d have re brands is go and watch a few local bands, then when you hear a bass tone you like, check out the amp. That`s how I ended up using Markbass - every time I liked a bassists tone, it was a Markbass rig.
[/quote]

Well funnily enough that's how I heard of Markbass too - I play keyboard in a soul band and the bassist has a LittleMark iii that sounds great (Bergantino cab though).

• 2 weeks later...