Why become a member? ×

Nice P-bass, but is it what it says?

KiOgon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-USA-57-P-Bass-Re-Issue-Sonic-Blue-immaculate-w-hard-case-Boxer30-amp/181190464232?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16547%26meid%3D374215873550062509%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D7839%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290921091083%26

Looks like an American Standard to me?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1375787421' post='2165503']
Apart from a real '57 having reverse-turning tuners, aluminium pickguard, top-loading only bridge, never blue, maple neck........

it's exactly what a '57 looks like.
[/quote]
Exactly! :rolleyes:
[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1375787505' post='2165505']
I guess the only rub is you can't zoom into the headstock photo to see whether it actually says "Made in US" or something else! Otherwise looks pretty convincing - and I guess the re-issues go for a lot less than the originals!
[/quote]
No zoom required - it's an N6- - - - - so in my book it's a USA made in '96 & looks just how a American Standard, (with a 50th anniversary badge) should look. The thing is being advertised as something it ain't, I'm pretty damn certain of that :angry:

Edited by KiOgon

Hi John,

I hope all is well.

As you said, it's definitely being advertised as something in ain't. Going by the description, it seems to be more due to ignorance than anything else. IMO it could be good value if the price stays realistic, but I'd hate to think somebody could get duped by this. I guess most of us would expect to pay a bit more for a 1996 '57 AVRI than an Am Std.

It is nice though, isn't it? I don't recall seeing a Sonic Blue Am Std before. I could be tempted myself ;)

Hi Paddy,

Well enough here thanks - hope you & yours are too :)

I messaged the seller a couple of days ago with my thoughts but no reply so far. I would have expected a response at least from an honest seller, but maybe that's just me.

Yes I'd love a Sonic Blue but I like to know what I'm buying :unsure:

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1375790152' post='2165574']
No zoom required - it's an N6- - - - - so in my book it's a USA made in '96 & looks just how a American Standard, (with a 50th anniversary badge) should look. The thing is being advertised as something it ain't, I'm pretty damn certain of that :angry:
[/quote]

Ah, now you mention it, yes, on the second photo you can make out the label on the parts bag, which reads "AM STD BASS," so pretty sure you're correct!

Question is whether a '57 Reissue would be worth more than an American Std...have to say £260 seems like a good price either way to me, but I'll defer to your greater knowledge!

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1375790152' post='2165574']
Exactly!

No zoom required - it's an N6- - - - - so in my book it's a USA made in '96 & looks just how a American Standard, (with a 50th anniversary badge) should look. The thing is being advertised as something it ain't, I'm pretty damn certain of that
[/quote]This. All this.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375807286' post='2165978']
I though the AV Reissues had a different serial numbering. Reckon as all above, this is a US Standard. Add a tort pickguard, mmmmmm.
[/quote]
Yes they do - stamped on the neck plate beginning with V - - - - - -