Why become a member? ×

Greetings! New bass player in the house.

Kevstein

Hello all, My name is Kev and i am from Scotland.

I have been playing bass for a while now but have never really committed to it so am an absolute beginner.

I have a Charvette by Charvel 1989 4 string, in red. Picked it up for 50quid a while back and i have just restrung it and started to play again. I love the guitar, it looks cool (in my eyes) and ive had it for so long, but I think i need something better. I dont know anything about basses but im assuming for this price and at this age, that an upgrade is probably required. Plus it will help ensure i wont get bored again, as i will have a nicer sounding newer bass to play.

I have been looking at some basses but lets be honest, i dont have a clue what i am looking for or what will best suit my needs. Can anyone advise as to a cheapish bass?

I have been learning Slipknot, Rammstein, Bloodhound Gang, Pink Floyd, Offspring, Metallica and more. I am looking for something under £250 (second hand or new) that would do me to progress with. I have been looking at the Ibanez GSR200 and Epipone Tobias IX Deluxe. Are these any good or are there others to consider? I want something semi-decent looking but that sounds good.

My bass that i will be very keen on getting if i got good enough (i know what people will say...) is an Ibanez PGB1-TK in wine/bugundy. But as my knowledge expands, i might learn of a better one. It is certainly a looker though..

Any help and advice for a noob like myself is much appreciated.

Thanks and hope to have a long and happy stay here :D

Kev.

Edited by Kevstein

Hey Kev,

Welcome!
I liked reading your intro.

Anyway,
I have no idea about your bass, but very, very often, a setup is the difference between a bad and a good bass, so you might wish to consider keeping ot for the time being, and juts visit one of the other Scots on here to have him/her have a look. There's gazillions of BassScots around, see.

[quote name='Kevstein' timestamp='1375698150' post='2164326']
I have been learning Slipknot, Rammstein, Bloodhound Gang, Pink Floyd, Offspring, Metallica and more.
[/quote]

Of those songs, I only know "Pink Floyd". Great jazz tune!
(Jus' pullin' yer leg here :) )

[quote name='Kevstein' timestamp='1375698150' post='2164326']
I am looking for something under £250 (second hand or new) that would do me to progress with. I have been looking at the Ibanez GSR200 and Epipone Tobias IX Deluxe. Are these any good or are there others to consider? I want something semi-decent looking but that sounds good.
[/quote]

Supposing the Charvette is a no go, the Ibanez should be OK. (Just to be sure: approach the GSR180 with care, if that one is an alternative. The ones I saw were not as well put together as the similarly styled and priced Yamaha RBX170.)
IMS, the Tobias gets mixed reviews here, but you could search the Bass forum in the Gear section for it. Others might chime in too.

Other basses that might suit you:
- Epiphone (reversed) Thunderbird. Cool as feck, though they come with different views on quality and sound.
- Ibanez SR 300 - a classic with a great mid sweep function in its electronics.
- Squier VM or CV series basses. Must be mentioned. Good stuff if you can muster the traditionalist looks.
- Warwick RockBass Corvette from 2011 or later (it must have the large "W" on the top of the headstock). I think it's stunning.
- Yamaha BB if you can find one at that price. BB 414 is good enough.
- Yamaha RBX170, RBX270, RBX370 ...

That's all I can remember right now that I know a little of.
There's some good British basses too that I have no idea about, but others will surely chime in.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Thanks for your reply! Yeh the bands i quoted arent to many peoples taste, and for bass players is probably not 'funky' enough lol. But its just simple-ish riffs and easier to progress with. Then i can move on to more complicated bands/songs.

Yeh I was thinking along those lines too. The Charvel is past its best now though (whether its best was any good in the first place). If you turn the tone knob, it makes a bloody rammy (loud buzzing) so im guessing there is a loose wire. Nothing a simple soldering wouldnt sort. About 10 years ago when i got it, i decided i didnt like the black it came in so i decided i would sand her down and spray her red. It looks better in this colour but being about 13 and a total eejit, it ruined the look of it. All of the screws that are used to hold the saddles on the bridge down are rusty as fook and have begun crumbling. One turned to dust and escaped, so the saddle is being propped up by a 5p.

I also noticed when i restrung it (first time in the 10 years ive owned it lol (even though i took the old ones off to paint it)) that the frets were caked in this manky looking dirt so the only option was a brillo pad lol. It was better than having that manky stuff on it.

So considering all of the above, I think a new bass is best. Ill have a look at some of the basses you have suggested and see. Any others anyone can think of would be much appreciated. My brother, who is not bad on guitar and played for years has told me to go squier/epiphone/ibanez. So this is where the ones i was suggesting came from, me just googling them.

BTW, you will soon notice that all my posts are unecessarily long and i tend to ramble on a bit. So apologies in advance, to anyone who ever endures my posts :)

Cheers, Kev.

:crigon_04:
Hi Kev, welcome to the forum!

I have an Epi T-bird Pro IV and a Squier Vintage Modified Jag that I'm trying to sell. They would both serve very well as an upgrade to your Charvette and both would fall very comfortably within your £250 budget. I'm based in the Elgin area if you're keen to try them out.

Hope you enjoy your time on the site!

Cheers,
Elliot. Edited by BassistInTheNorth

Welcome Kev,

My advise is to go for a good second hand bass, you generally get 'more' for your cash. The Ibaneze SR series are great for Metal and a lot of the cheaper basses are good quality for the money. There are loads of basses for sale in the marketplace. It's a safe place but remember to ask lots of questions.

Cheers Leen (fae Fife)

Cheers Leen.

Much appreciated, I have been looking at the SR range but not seen many second hand ones and the new ones are just out of my budget. I will give the for sale section a good trawling to see whats there. Hope to get one soon so i can get learning properly. The charvel does the trick but a semi-decent one would be a treat compared to it as it feels all of the 25 years old that it is lol.

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the board, I am a newbie around here but not to bass playing.

I would go with the suggestion of second hand bass, more bang for your buck. As for new in your price range an Epi T Bird or the Squier VM's are both great IMHO!

All the best,

Dougie (Scottish Borders) Bass 'Still Whisky'

Yes definitely go for used, you can get more for your money that way. Take an open-minded bass-playing friend with you when bass-shopping. And don't be satisfied with 'that'll do', go for the one that says 'take me, I'm yours'!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1376032481' post='2168704']
:crigon_04:

1989 charvel - this needs pics :D some of us are getting old and need to reminisce about our mispent youth of the 70s and 80s
[/quote]

I started playing on a mid 80s charvel that i got given by a friend if a friend... wish i still had it. Red sort of crackle effect and pointy headstock. Traded it for a more traditional and understated BC rich warlock in pink! Those were the days... I used it to great effect in a rhythm and blues band :-)