Why become a member? ×

SOLD Pending - RIM Marseer - Honey Buckeye Burl: almost as new - £770 (£785 shipped)!
£840

lozbass

Now reduced to £770 (or £785 shipped in the UK)
MANY IMAGES IN POST 2 BELOW

RIM Marseer in honey buckeye burl - approximately 20 months old but hardly played. I recovered this from the Gallery for a mate to try but he's mainly a five player. Thought it might go in the office, then decided to stick to the shorties only rule and put it up for sale.

The bass was spec'd by a very well known and respected BC member and delivered in Noveber 2011 (the build thread is here in Affiliates from around p18):
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/9653-rim-basses-in-progress/page__hl__rim%20honey__st__480"]http://basschat.co.u...0honey__st__480[/url])

Basic details:
Scale: 34"
Nut: 1.6" (approx)
String spacing: 16.5mm but adjustable to around 15.5 to 19mm
Weight: approximately 8.5lbs (extremely light and-well balanced)
Body: ash (I think) with a lot of flame (the body is chambered to reduce weight) - thick purpleheart laminate and honey buckeye facing. Electronics cavity cover in contrasting flamed timber (maple?)
Neck: three piece neck through with flamed maple outer laminates
Board: maccassar ebony with impressive striations (12" radius I think) Luminlay side dots
Pickups: Armstrong custom in RIM laser etched cases
Electronics: passive with Dingwall switch (very impressive range of tones from fat and funky to very passable J type - also very hot)
Bridge and retainer: ETS
Tuners: Sperzel locking
Staplocks: Schaller black

The bass is in excellent almost unplayed condition though there is minor evidence of player wear. No dents, dings or scratches - just a minor/faint scuff at the edge of the headstock (re-touched with a thin coat of lacquer - almost invisible - this really is a tiny mark). A very good range of tones with the pickups and Dingwall switch and a fantastic Gallery set-up. Martin dressed the frets, removed a bit of fret-sprout (very common on ebony boards), re-filed the nut and saddle slots, and attended to a scratchy tone pot. The pot is still very slightly scratchy but this really is being picky (it could be replaced for a few quid but didn't bother me at all).

The bass cost £1800 new just over 18 months ago and is an excellent example of Robbie's work. It's also in almost as new condition - just very minor wear. The bass is set-up beautifully and plays extremely well with a very low, buzz-free action. I don't have a case, the straplock strap ends, allen keys, or tiny torch for the Luminlay side dots, however, this is an extreme bargain at £770 (or £785 including basic shipping to the UK).

I'd much prefer collection in central Manchester but can ship (to the UK, Europe and US) if necessary. I have a strong carton and a lot of bubble-wrap but shipping is at the purchaser's risk. If desired (and required for international shipping), I can put the bass into an almost new Hiscox EBS case - I think it fits - for an additional £50. I can also supply it in a Mono Vertigo (again, almost new) for an additional £100. A gorgeous, custom, hand-built bass at a bargain price. No trades thanks and my opportunities to host trials is very limited at the moment (apologies - massive work commitments!) Any questions, please just ask

Edited by lozbass

Hi Loz,

So sorry to see this going and so sorry it didn't work out for me in the first place. If not for my arm problems (same reason I had to sell my Ric 4004) I'd still have it. Just a minor correction; the body itself is flamed maple, not ash.

I'm sure everyone here knows this but I doubt there's a better bloke to buy from than Loz.

Thanks gents for the lovely comments - I'm blushing! Thanks too 4000 for the information re: the body - the flame is lovely and I suspect that the maple adds to the general tone and light weight of the body. I'm sorry that the bass didn't work out for me too - great balance but the scale is just too long (I've just been playing a shortie to confirm it's all I can manage...)