Why become a member? ×

Selector switch issue

Greggo

I traded a bass privately for a Yamaha BB 414 and just noticed a few minor issues could do with advice!

The selector switch seemed a bit iffy so took the back panel out to see what the issue is and it seems the plastic switch which has all the connections to it is loose so the actual switch can't change the pickup.

A work around that someone has put in place is to wedge something on to of it to keep it still but it had slipped.

I wedged a thick piece of card on top which is kept in place by plastic panel and seems okay for now.
Are these parts easily replaceable?

Edited by Greggo

Good call - anyone know if this particualr toggle switch suitable for Yamaha BB414?

[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Long-Toggle-Pickup-Selector-Switch-p/longtoggleswitch.htm"]http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Long-Toggle-Pickup-Selector-Switch-p/longtoggleswitch.htm[/url]

The one inside mine has a a plastic connectot (which I assume the pins to connect have snapped hence looseness) but this one the sodler points are attached directly.

Thanks

Can we have a pic of your switch and wirings? What does it really do, neck pu / both pu / bridge pu?
Won't one of these fit better (and occupy less space on your electronics cavity?
[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Silver-Bodied-Short-3-way-Toggle-Pickup-Selector-p/silverbodytoggle.htm"]http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Silver-Bodied-Short-3-way-Toggle-Pickup-Selector-p/silverbodytoggle.htm[/url]

Cheers

When I spotted a dicky coil selector mini-switch on my Lakland 55-02 I emailed Lakland to ask what I should use and they sent me one for a very reasonable price, mebbe email Yamaha customer services / technical folks and ask them...?

That selector switch looks like it would do the trick actually.

Yup my toggle does neck pu /both pu's / bridge pu. I can get a picture up yes, took one last night.

The switch inside has a plastic connector bay, i think the pins have snapped on it, so unless held down with force, the selector toggle itself doesnt do anything.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375607767' post='2163280']
When I rewired my BB450 I used one of these:

[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Silver-Bodied-Short-3-way-Toggle-Pickup-Selector-p/silverbodytoggle.htm"]http://www.axesrus.c...rbodytoggle.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Dont suppose you have the wiring diagram for this do you?

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1375698145' post='2164325']
Dont suppose you have the wiring diagram for this do you?
[/quote]

Let me get back to you about the switch specifics. It's not hard though. The only thing that might go wrong is the phase of the pickups. If you wire them wrong they'll sound fine individually but together it'll be weak with a marked reduction in bass. If that happens then swap the ground/hot wires of one of the pickups going to the switch. But I'll have a look tonight and let you know exactly what I did.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375700477' post='2164365']

Let me get back to you about the switch specifics. It's not hard though. The only thing that might go wrong is the phase of the pickups. If you wire them wrong they'll sound fine individually but together it'll be weak with a marked reduction in bass. If that happens then swap the ground/hot wires of one of the pickups going to the switch. But I'll have a look tonight and let you know exactly what I did.
[/quote]

Thanks for that :)

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1375904519' post='2167296']
Thanks for that :)
[/quote]

Sorry, it completely slipped my mind. The switch I linked has 4 terminals, 3 in a row and one on the edge of the case. I've labelled them like so:

1 = neck pickup hot
2 = output from switch (goes to volume pot)
3 = bridge pickup ground
4 = neck pickup ground AND bridge pickup hot

Hope that helps, and sorry for not doing this when I said I would.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375914531' post='2167510']

[/quote]

Ah dont worry about that, we've all got lives outside of the forum! :)

Thats brilliant thanks for your help, going to get the part ordered today.

Greg

Sorry, it completely slipped my mind. The switch I linked has 4 terminals, 3 in a row and one on the edge of the case. I've labelled them like so:

1 = neck pickup hot
3 = bridge pickup ground

[/quote]

Managed to wire this in as per diagram and both pickups work individually but silent on middle position any ideas? Have reverses wires of one of the pickups but no joy still. Don't know if it makes a difference but on mine there is a wire coming from top of volume pot (assume this is a ground) which I've wired to the position 4 on diagram. Thanks

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1376780599' post='2179155'] Managed to wire this in as per diagram and both pickups work individually but silent on middle position any ideas? Have reverses wires of one of the pickups but no joy still. Don't know if it makes a difference but on mine there is a wire coming from top of volume pot (assume this is a ground) which I've wired to the position 4 on diagram. Thanks [/quote]

Extra ground wire shouldn't matter. I guess I've been a bit lax in not earthing my pickups but it works for me without it - maybe I got lucky. Maybe I'll put that wire in now :) Check the switch in each position with a multimeter to see if you get the results you expect. Can't think of any other reason why the pickups would work individually but not collectively off the top of my head.

1 = neck pickup hot
3 = bridge pickup ground

[/quote]
I don't know this switch, but I think the normal config would have the bridge hot at 3 and bridge ground at 4. This should avoid the bridge signal cancelling out the neck signal in the middle switch position.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1376811684' post='2179266']

I don't know this switch, but I think the normal config would have the bridge hot at 3 and bridge ground at 4. This should avoid the bridge signal cancelling out the neck signal in the middle switch position.
[/quote]

It's the way round for my pickups that avoids phase cancellation. It works in my bass. I had it round the way you describe and the sound was fine on each pickup individually but thin and weedy together. Of course this is based on me assuming that the ground wires in my bass are the braid in the case of the neck pickup and black (as opposed to red) in the case of the bridge. Fair assumptions, I'm sure you'll agree, but maybe I got that wrong. If my terminology is wrong as a consequence of this assumption based upon wire colours then I apologise.

Your situation may differ but it's a 50/50 shot and not difficult to remedy. You wire them up the way you think they should be. If it's thin and weedy sounding with both pickups engaged but fine individually, swap one of 'em.

The OP's issue of no sound when the switch is centred is a different issue altogether. Even wired up out of phase there would be something.