Why become a member? ×

Pigs - Pink Floyd....

livingbasshead

...must be one of my favourite Floyd songs when it comes to bass. I think it's Gilmour rather than Waters playing, on a fretless P bass I believe.
Anyone familiar with the song - do you think there's a subtle effect on the bass? possibly a bassballs or a phaser MXR 90 perhaps?

There's a drop down after the 2nd chorus which builds, and the bass there is fantastic. It's a simple chord structure but the slides and subtle changes as it picks up are great.

One of my favourite basslines to play that, not sure on an effect, off the top of my head I'd have said it was clean but you may well be right.

Very fun to play, I never get the timing bang on with the record though in the intro though - never quite where I think it should be.

without question its Gilmour :D

I know what you mean about the effect, not needed to try and re-create it yet as we aren't doing anything from Animals yet, and being a welsh Floyd tribute band, guess we'll need to do sheep first :P

Edited by SpaceChick

I guess sheep is an mxr 90 on the bass? what do you use? - That's gilmour on bass too apparently on the album. Waters plays a rhythm guitar low in the mix on that track.

That Pigs bass tone almost sounds like the timbre of a pig squeal - really clever stuff. To me it's not quite dry though, there's something else there

[quote name='tb1973' timestamp='1375260216' post='2158849']
:D Guy Pratt, good bass player and funny guy as he is didn't fit right for me on bass in the Floyd. In a way he was too good. Know what I mean?
[/quote]

I know what you mean, although I thought his playing on 'The Division Bell' was top drawer (It turns out to be my favourite Floyd album). It just did not work IMO when he put his own embellishments on the older material.

Guy was brilliant on the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour and gave Floyd that additional lift they needed at that time.
not sure what the bass sounds like but will have a listen when i get home.
Have you tried googling or Youtube it out of curiousity. Might come up with something.

Dave

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he acknowledges this himself .

When it was time for the Division Bell tour, Mr. Gilmour politely suggested to Mr. Pratt how he might play some things differently, or use different basses, to what he did / used on the DSOT tour. The 'Money' line springs to mind... straighter, and on a P.

Yeah - there's a noticeable difference in the sound when Guy played the P bass, more true to the original material rather than the funky / slap tones of DSOT. My favourite era was from '73-80. I love Waters' lyrics and Gilmours playing from that period. I'd say Animals is my favourite album, probably of any artist.

[quote name='tb1973' timestamp='1375260216' post='2158849']
:D Guy Pratt, good bass player and funny guy as he is didn't fit right for me on bass in the Floyd. In a way he was too good. Know what I mean?
[/quote]
I'd agree with that. And, like WoT, I think GP admitted the same - probably in his "My bass ..." book, but I'll need to go and check that.

I wonder what it would have sounded like if Tony Levin had been available to play that tour. He's also phenomenally talented but, I'm guessing, he might have been better able to rein in his playing than Guy did.

[quote name='tb1973' timestamp='1375438043' post='2161220']
I kind of think it was intentional as a bit of a 'F... you Waters - look at us - we've got a proper bass player now', but it upset the balance and backfired I guess.
[/quote]

I dunno. As a live act, I think Floyd did OK since Roger left. :rolleyes:

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375429573' post='2161020']
I wonder what it would have sounded like if Tony Levin had been available to play that tour. He's also phenomenally talented but, I'm guessing, he might have been better able to rein in his playing than Guy did.
[/quote]
It would have sounded immeasurably better if Levin had done it IMO.
He could have played the Stick part on "One Slip" too.

[quote name='tb1973' timestamp='1375438043' post='2161220']
I kind of think it was intentional as a bit of a 'F... you Waters - look at us - we've got a proper bass player now', but it upset the balance and backfired I guess.
[/quote]
That's possible, but I don't think it's likely. Firstly because I think Gilmour prioritizes the music and sound over such pettiness. (I'll admit I may be biassed; I think he's a god! ;) ). Secondly because Gilmour had no problems playing bass on the '70s albums when he thought it would improve things, but he let Waters play a lot, so I'm guessing that most of the time he thought Waters's simple lines were what suited the songs best.

So, all in all, I can't understand why I didn't get the gig, given that I'm an even worse bass player than RW. ;)

No doubt waters technically isn't in the same ball park as Pratt or Levin, but many of his basslines with Floyd just sound right and perfectly serve the songs. Also their music is so well known that screwing around with the fundamentals just sounds wrong IMO. However on 'The Division Bell' (my favourite Floyd album), Pratt is superb, free from the chains of Waters legacy. Also I really enjoyed the LIVE EIGHT reunion with Waters on Bass and thought he gave a super performance on the day.

[quote name='tb1973' timestamp='1375427154' post='2160988']
Yeah - there's a noticeable difference in the sound when Guy played the P bass, more true to the original material rather than the funky / slap tones of DSOT. My favourite era was from '73-80. I love Waters' lyrics and Gilmours playing from that period. [i][b]I'd say Animals is my favourite album, probably of any artist.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

so would I, absolutely love it

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375450650' post='2161584']
So, all in all, I can't understand why I didn't get the gig, given that I'm an even worse bass player than RW. ;)
[/quote]

According to his book, Guy didn't even get his bass out of its case for his audition, he only sang Run Like Hell.

DSoM is still my fav followed by Animals and then love DSoT live tour simply because I think that the band and sound they had gave Floyd that added excitement for a live gig. Would agree that RW original bass lines are by far the best and most suited for the original songs but you have to admit that GP helped boost the ratings on the live tour with his dynamic style rather than basic solid bass lines. All down to personal preference at the end of the day. I found that Guys sound on following tours was much more subdued and plain with no bass definition and more a dull thud to me and that is similar to how Gilmour likes the bass on his solo albums. It begins to sound like a digital bass sound which i'm not a big fan off and the main reason I cant really get into Gilmours solo material. No matter what Floyd - they are all great versions. Dave

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1375480759' post='2162220']
According to his book, Guy didn't even get his bass out of its case for his audition, he only sang Run Like Hell.
[/quote]
I'd forgotten that. I think it's about time I dug his book out again and re-read it. :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1375515117' post='2162373']
...but you have to admit that GP helped boost the ratings on the live tour with his dynamic style rather than basic solid bass lines.
[/quote]

What do you mean by " helped boost the ratings" exactly?
Surely you're not suggesting that large numbers of people went to see that tour because of who was playing bass?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1375529619' post='2162543']
What do you mean by " helped boost the ratings" exactly?
Surely you're not suggesting that large numbers of people went to see that tour because of who was playing bass?
[/quote]
I suppose it's just possible that GP's stage presence (which he undoubtedly has, in spades) led to some more favourable reviews than they would otherwise have got, leading to more ticket sales for later in the tour. Just.

But basically, I share your scepticism Rhys! :)