Why become a member? ×

Combo/Amp advice invited

Grangur

Hi All,
It's a pain that it's not easy to go to a local shop and try all the different amps on the market.

Right now I've got a Roland 100w cube. When I play my P-bass through it the sound is loud and punchy and, to me, metalic. I take it to my lessons and play through a Mark Bass and WOW it's darker, grittier and really cool. Too loud for home, but cool.

I Want some of that Mark Bass sound, but I don't have Mark Bass money just yet. Well, not until the royalty cheques start clearing (LOL)

Can anyone recommend an amp I should be looking at?

I play blues, some classical, and general light stuff. Not into effects etc yet. Won't be going into metal any time soon.

Thanks for reading

Rich

If you`re satisfied with the Roland volume-wise, get a Zoom B3 or MS60B effects pedal. They both have Markbass amp-modelling on there. I have the B3, and have my Markbass amp set flat, just use the eq on the Markbass modelling on the B3 - this way I get my sound if I have to use a provided amp, or DI (the MS60B doesn`t have a DI btw).

I use my MB 2x10 combo at home. It has a rotary dial thing labelled "Master". If I keep this turned almost fully anticlockwise, it's perfect for use at home.* :yarr:

You can get a 2nd hand MB combo for @ £500 (give or take £100). If you want the Markbass sound, then saving your pennies is the best option. Failing that, I'd go with what Lozz has advised.

*Sorry about my sense of humour.

Thanks guys. There's some really useful advice here. Especially about the Zoom B3. I'll look into that.
Xgsjx has to be right too though I guess; if you want a 5 series BWM, then buying a 3 series gets you further away, not closer.