Why become a member? ×

Cheap Acoustic Basses

soundbass

I bought one of those really cheap ebay jobbies, they seem to be labelled 'Swift' now I think, mine was an earlier one ('Atrics' I think) but is identical.
£60 brand new for electro acoustic or £50 for acoustic so I thought why not? With a bit of fettling, lowered action, adjust trussrod, better strings it's actually really quite good.
I only wanted it for bumming around at home with but have done a few acoustic jam nights with it and it's fine, sure there's gonna be better ones but it's basically a Saturday mornings overtime and it's all paid for.
I put Chrome flats on it two years ago and the neck's been fine with the tension so build quality wise they're ok too.

I bought one from gear4music for about £100, it's fairly unplayable. Arrived with rattles on most of the frets, only became playable with a massively high action, pre-amp has almost no bass to it and the neck is like half a baseball bat. Put me off buying cheap new gear for ever. Cheap secondhand is better imo.

I've a Harley Benton and really rate it. Gigged it quite a bit, with a feedback buster in, recorded live radio shows etc. sounds great, feels great, always gets comments. Love it.

(And as lately whenever I post, someone seems to make a snarky comment seemingly presuming either I don't know what I'm on about, or I'm an inexperienced beginner as my views may differ from theirs I'll add that I've owned over 65 basses and been gigging and recording for over twenty years, and am a total gear need and do know what I'm on about ;)

and yep. It's great. Yes the action could be lower but that's part of an acoustic, but it responds well to truss adjustments and the preamp just needs setting up with your ears not your eyes.
Sadly they are pretty impractical as most times an electric bass will just do a better job, and as for keeping up with a couple of vigorously strummed acoustic guitars, well, expect to do a lot of work for not a lot of volume. A pic can help. But for home noodling or when you get a job that needs the image they are great. I love my Benton. I had a fender kingman too, which was awesome and I'd buy another if I had funds.

Edited by gafbass02

What do you want an acoustic bass for?

Without amplification you're going to be struggling to be heard in anything other than solo practice. There's a reason why the body of a double bass is so big.

Amplified unless you are very lucky or have spent a lot of money the tone will be poor compared with most solid basses and you'll be fighting against feedback at all but the quietest gigging volume.

Another vote for that harley benton.

Its a very playable bass for a tiny amount of money.

As with anything that cheap I would suggest a string change right away, the wires on it are fairly poor. I expected to have to give mine a full set up but other than the string change she was perfect out of the box.

Also BRX I completely disagree. For jamming in the garden and writing with my band on acoustic it is perfectly audible. Team it with a decent amp and you can get a solid sound from a cheap bass for gigs if you want it. I sold the Benton and bought a tanglewood bowl back acoustic bass which if anything is quieter unplugged but still works.

Edited by throwoff