Why become a member? ×

This is a good you tube clip

I was surprised how the F and Fodera sounded great in the higher registers, but were bland/almost inaudible in the meat and potatoes area, whereas the likes of the P, J, 'Ray, Ricky were all pretty consistent across the range. Nice clip, thanks for posting.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374943494' post='2155098']
Funny how he still sounds like him though, maybe it is all in the fingers after all?
[/quote]

I think it's because good players can make a decent instrument "speak" in a way that lesser players never can , regardless of what equipment they are using .

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1374944047' post='2155106']
I was surprised how the F and Fodera sounded great in the higher registers, but were bland/almost inaudible in the meat and potatoes area, whereas the likes of the P, J, 'Ray, Ricky were all pretty consistent across the range. Nice clip, thanks for posting.
[/quote]

I agree entirely with that observation . This and a lot of other well-recorded You Tube clips reinforce my conviction that a lot of more modern hi- fi , hi -tech boutique basses sound too polite and too slick for my tastes nowadays . The more vintage-style fretted basses with a bit of grunt , grunge and clank sound far better to my ears . I love some of those upright-sounding fretless basses , too . I could have [u][i]a lot [/i][/u]of fun playing one of those .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1374947620' post='2155154']
The sound of the Rob Allen Deep 5 was something else.
[/quote]+1. There was another lovely sounding, very similar build fretless, a Veilette? These kinds of bass really appeal, but as I'd probably only get to play them at home, their not financially viable for me, lotto win notwithstanding.