Why become a member? ×

1/2 Size Basses

Mr Bassman

Anyone own / play a 1/2 size bass?

I just got one today to experiment with, it's a cheap as chips Antoni

Popped a bassmax on and it sounds huge through my Acoustic Image combo.

Vibrating string length is about 38 1/4" but after owning a couple of Kolstein travel basses previously it doesn't feel too short scale.

Needs some setting up (nut lowering, bridge raising, fingerboard smoothing) and better strings but so far I'm impressed.

Edited by Mr Bassman

Done some work on the fingerboard today, just sanding some imperfections, could do with a bit more but I want to try the bass on a gig tonight.

I've put a couple of shims under the bridge feet to raise the action a bit and I've cut the string slots lower in the nut.

Fitted a new set of medium tension Helicore Hybrids and a Bassmax and we're ready to rock. (well, jazz trio actually)

Only thing that concerns me is the skinny neck, I prefer chunky profiles.

oh well, fingers crossed.

Edited by Mr Bassman

Just to prove I've been and done it

Had to tweak the eq a bit on the Phil jones but it sounded pretty good.

I found the medium tension strings hard work after using Kostein Heritage for so long.

Our first set is 1 1/2 hours long, my left hand was aching towards the end, down to the skinny neck.

Yeh, it's very light, an easy one hand carry in its gig bag.

I agree about the lack of set up and crap strings supplied. In fact the E string broke at the tailpiece the first time I tuned it up.

Now it's got some decent strings it sounds slightly quieter than a 3/4 acoustically but no different amplified.

Wow Keith, I can't belive you managed a gig on a half size. I have had several young students who had fractional size basses, but couldn't get a decent sound from them. The way you are sat looks really comfortable though. I bet your left hand would get used to it.
Are you going to do more with it? I would be great at the Harrogate Brasserie!

Edited by geoffbassist

As you know I'm obsessed with EUB's and knowing from experience what great sounds can be achieved from the Kolstein / Eminence and some solid bodied EUB's I decided to experiment with the 1/2 size.

Pop in if you're passing and see what you think.

The hand issue is ongoing from an injury 2 years ago which makes it difficult to clench my fist so thin necks aren't ideal for me.

I bought this unseen and it's of the skinny variety so I've got to decide whether to fit a 6mm shim under the fingerboard, or move it on as is and look for one with a chunky neck (if they exist)

As for the Brasserie this would be better than taking your normal bass but I insist on standing on the floor or using EUB if I have to sit on that poky stage.

I've got this bass set up much better now.

It sounds good and is quite loud.

However, much as I'd like to keep it the neck is too skinny for me.

I'm not sure if I can still return it so my other options are putting a shim under the fingerboard to fatten her up, or let someone else have the benefit.

If anyone is at all interested in seeing / playing it let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/214329-antoni-12-size-bass-alternative-to-eub/"]Heads up for sale or trade[/url]

thinking of letting this go as I have too many other things to do before I can spare the time to modify the neck.

It does sound good and is great is fun to play though, so I'm not bothered if it doesn't sell.

A good friend of mine (and great bassist) called round this morning and was really impressed with the Antoni.

He loves the look, the sound and the skinny neck, oh and the price.

So he's having it.

Just need to find him a pickup, if anyone has a spare Bassmax, Underwood or similar let me know

This bass is now with Des

He's really impressed with the sound and likes the neck and slightly shorter 39" scale.

It's now fitted with an Aptflex pickup

If you're looking for an easy to play portable instrument don't let the label "1/2 size" put you off, unless you're very tall

They're only slightly smaller than a 3/4 and seem to be feedback resistant.

Hi Mr Bassman,
I'm glad you posted this
I've not really given much thought to 1/2 size basses
But they really do look more manageable, in terms of portability

Wish I knew someone who owns one locally to me (South Wales)
So I could go along & try one out
I haven't seen any around here in the shops...

Re the neck; you say it's thin
Is it around that of a bass guitar?

Cheers
Marc