Why become a member? ×

This week will be interesting

WalMan

I have a r/h for the dep this Sat, next day is with my long term lot to run through the set with a (known in the sense that we have variously played with him n other bands) drummer, then the dep.

I've been away for a week and only had the dep in the diary for a couple more than that. 30-40 songs in the set in the vein of 'well I've heard them but never played them'. Some a fairly straightforward busk. Son a bit more involved, and I've been writing out bits of notes.

Chatted with the bandleader tonight re the r/h and another possible deep later in the year and I made some off the cuff comment like 'if I don't really cock up Sat', which was followed by a comment re a prviou dep having had a music stand & 'not very rock'. Looks like I need my remembering head on! :-)

Wish me luck, I'm going in again!! :-)

If by the gig you still need a few prompts, write them large and set your music stand low and off towards the side of the stage. There's nothing worse IMO than music stands up high, virtually obscuring the players' faces.

...and now, an email with a list of 5 songs I had worked out to be swapped out for 5 more I dont really know at all and will have to have a stab at tonight instead of brushing up on the others :o Oh happy day :gas:

I love a challenge me

Edited by WalMan

Well that's one out of the way.

Took some notes & managed to busk through the correct song from memory of listening to it on the radio & at parties, having found a completely different song to take notes for - Freedom : Wham was what I should have worked out, Freedom George Michael was what I had worked out ... DOH!!!

Dep drummer to work in for a different band tonight, then more to do to get close for Saurday's dep. Like I said - I love a challenge and, more to the point, getting out & playing

Have done 2 different deps the last 2 sat nights.... As I refuse to use a music stand I just wrote the set list in marker & gaffered it to the monitor, with keys & notes next to the titles! Both gigs went very well, I always remember more than I think I'm gonna!

[quote name='lazzer' timestamp='1374651866' post='2151228']
Have done 2 different deps the last 2 sat nights.... As I refuse to use a music stand I just wrote the set list in marker & gaffered it to the monitor, with keys & notes next to the titles! Both gigs went very well, I always remember more than I think I'm gonna!
[/quote]Yup, I think that's what I'll end up with this time :)

Well that's that then. All went off OK. Remembered all the songs, though forgot I started one of them. Typical wedding gig. Not much reaction early on but at the end good. Shame the DJ came straight in with a song as we finished the last set, when I think they could have done another. Still...

It would have been nice if when I was lending the keys a tuner for his guitar the others had come and found us to say the food was on, instead of coming out smacking their chops and saying we're back on in 5 - so yesterday I had a bowl of cornflakes & a cheese sandwich but never mind.

Should have more deep work as required, so that's good, a couple of first calls is useful to have, even if they're not often, its something else to do.

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1375036163' post='2156018']
Always take your own food as a precaution!
[/quote]Actually it probably did me a favour as I've been feeling bloated all week. Better get me some activia (mmmmmdanone - other yoghurts full of bacteria are available :D )

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1374664451' post='2151430']
just make it up ... nobody listens to the bass anyways
[/quote]

I joked like that sometimes, but it's probably more true than I thought.

I was shown today a video from a song we played recently at a festival. Nice edit from two cameras that were moving about even onstage. Clear basslines... but I made sooo many mistakes. I had the amp of one of the guitarists blasting at my ear level, on top of my amp. I could not hear myself and was struggling to follow the song. At one point I lost it, could not tell whether we were on a verse, a chorus, or one of the several other changes this song had, because even the guitar sounded pretty indistinct from where I was.

So the video turns out ok, sound is fine, you can hear everything... and... whops, there I go off the tracks. I mention on whatsapp something like "nice video, buy I cringe about my basslines". And both a guitarist and the guy who edited the video said they did not notice anything and that it sounded good... the video guy said that he did not notice any timing errors...

And that's the thing, I think. As long as you keep time, you can get away with a lot of note mistakes!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1375190040' post='2157870']
I joked like that sometimes, but it's probably more true than I thought.
[/quote]

yup our gig on saturday at t'beer festival was littered with more bum notes than i could possibly recall on the fingers and toes of two hands and two feet (it was such a nice big clean stage and a hot day so i was barefootin it!)

only person to probably notice was any other bass players in the crowd (at least one BC member that i know of) - didnt stop the crowd displaying their approval by getting up and shaking their booty - and when the sound and lighting guys express that they liked the set than that carries a bit of weight for me because they get to see band after band after band and the fact they made some positive and enthusiastic comments was great in spite of my lousy bum notes

Edited by steve-bbb