Why become a member? ×

Any BC'ers near Ballater or Aberdeen area?

Low End Bee

We're playing a gig in Ballater on the 30th November. I wondered if any BC'ers who live near the area and have a PA would like to do sound duties for a consideration?
We can bring our own PA but we would have to hire a bigger van and that would turn a tiny profit for band funds into maybe a small loss.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
The Jetsonics have never played further North than Kentish Town before so we're really looking forward to an adventure far over the border.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1374437786' post='2148798']
..and far above it you'll be, Mate. If they talk in the local Aberdeenshire venacular, you'll have fun trying to understand them. It took me a while!

Unfortunately I'm 10 miles south of Glasgow or you'd have been welcome.

G.
[/quote]

Ta G. If we get something near Glasgow I'll give you a shout.

I'm sure the accent problem will be a two way street. Gor blimey guvnor. Apples and pears, etc. :)

Sorry, I was away for a few days so missed this. Good to hear you got sorted - Captain Tom sort you out?

I'll try and keep the evening free and come see you play. Where in Ballater is your gig? Need a translator? ;)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1374783225' post='2153265']
Sorry, I was away for a few days so missed this. Good to hear you got sorted - Captain Tom sort you out?

I'll try and keep the evening free and come see you play. Where in Ballater is your gig? Need a translator? ;)
[/quote]

Captain Tom is indeed the man. It's at a place called the Deeside Inn. I might take you up on the translator if you can understand West Lahndahn?

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1374825320' post='2153582']
Captain Tom is indeed the man. It's at a place called the Deeside Inn. I might take you up on the translator if you can understand West Lahndahn?
[/quote]

Surely English is a usable [i]lingua franca[/i] here? ;)

And you must try a buttery (also referred to as a rowie): imagine if you will 4 croissants compressed into the size of one with added salt. A coronary waiting to happen, but a delicious way to go. An Aberdeen(shire) peculiarity - you'll have difficulty finding them south of Dundee.

Anyway, I'll try and save the date and come along, regardless of any language barriers ;)

As usual too late in seeing this post! Would have been happy to lend you our bands PA for the night if we weren't playing that night. I'll have to pop along to the Deeside Inn and have a listen. As Neepheid says definately try a Buttery/Rowie. Try one with a layer of tomato sauce, a cheese slice on top and then grill to produce a Pizza Rowie. Feel those arteries hardening!

This could turn into a BC evening by sound of it.
Sad to say I'm down Lanark / Biggar way so wont manage.

Curious about the buttery thing. Is that the same as a soda scone or is it of a lighter composition. ?? I'm a Scot and well travelled all over our wee country including Aberdeen City and some of the surrounding areas and haven't heard of it.
Post a photo.

Hope the gig goes down well guys. They are usually a good crowd in that area and up for a good night out so should be a night to remember.
All the very best

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1375371586' post='2160458']
This could turn into a BC evening by sound of it.
Sad to say I'm down Lanark / Biggar way so wont manage.

Curious about the buttery thing. Is that the same as a soda scone or is it of a lighter composition. ?? I'm a Scot and well travelled all over our wee country including Aberdeen City and some of the surrounding areas and haven't heard of it.
Post a photo.

Hope the gig goes down well guys. They are usually a good crowd in that area and up for a good night out so should be a night to remember.
All the very best

Dave
[/quote]

Hello,

Please see below for a picture of a 'rowie'. My dubious claim to fame is the my Dad was the bakery foreman for the bakery reputed to produce the finest examples of these. Neepheid is right - although they are delicious they will also induce a heart attack if eaten in quantity :D

[attachment=140489:Aberdeen Rowie.jpg]

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1375455013' post='2161675']
I might have a go on a Rowie.

Now to the important stuff. What's the beer to ask for?
[/quote]
Controversial. Try this, maybe?
http://www.mcewans.co.uk/our-beers/70-2/