Why become a member? ×

Since I got rid of my Big Muff, I keep clipping my Swollen Pickle.

olliedf89

A few weeks back I sold my Bass Big Muff because, well, I didn't really like it. The more I play modern EHX stuff, the more I dislike it. I straight away went for a replacement in the Way Huge Swollen Pickle MKII after reading good things on various forums and hearing various bands use it to great effect.

I currently only use it for a few songs (including two Muse numbers) in a covers band and a bit of originals stuff (though it's not essential for originals), but it's been really difficult to work with. It kicks out so much bass that it needs a re-EQ every time I step on it. I have to keep dropping the bass level to stop it chopping and sounding really muddy, which isn't great in a live situation. I don't really want to use a blender because pedalboard real estate is becoming an issue. It sounds better with a bit of my MXR M80 distortion before it, but not ideal.

I'm starting to miss my BBM's blend and simple controls.

So have I bought the wrong Fuzz or am I overlooking something with the pedal?

If I get another fuzz, what do ya'll recommend?
I've gone through the Fuzz Wars on Pedals&Effects.com to give me some help but most are USA sold which means they aren't cheap. Ideally I want something that can do smooth fuzz a la Muse (not trying to replicate Chris' tone, just get something smooth that does a half decent job) as well as a bit more crunchy /blendy fuzz. Being that it's really currently only for two songs I don't really want to break the bank again in the space of a week or two unless it's really worth it.

So far I'm liking the Wren & Cuff, Dwarfcraft & Earthquaker fuzzes. Any advances on those chaps? Maybe I should just suck it up and go back to EHX?

Edited by olliedf89

Fuzzes seem to be very personal, in terms of likes and dislikes.

I've never actually played the Swollen Pickle but I can empathise with your description of the bass boost on it. I don't think I've played a muff-type fuzz which didn't need some sort of taming of the bass frequencies after it for my tastes. The EHX BBM being equally bad at this IMO.

Anyway, some great, great fuzzes to look at, of the Muff type, are .....

The COG Effects Tarkin fuzz
Amptweaker Bass tightfuzz (I so want one of these at the moment !)
Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1374391668' post='2148200']
Anyway, some great, great fuzzes to look at, of the Muff type, are .....

The COG Effects Tarkin fuzz
Amptweaker Bass tightfuzz (I so want one of these at the moment !)
Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B
[/quote]

The COG & Wren & Cuff have been the two most sensibly priced and prominent pedals I've heard of so far. I'm quite impressed with the COG.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1374365345' post='2148146']
My fave bass distortion at the mo (other than the b3k) is my Devi Ever Ruiner... Prob similar in sound to a few of the Dwarfcraft pedals, but cheaper to get hold of.
[/quote]

Devi Ever sounds good, but quite wild! I'll keep looking at it!

Thanks so far!

Edited by olliedf89

Before you chop and change, do you know anyone that's into modding pedals? Having looked at a gut-shot, the main circuit board uses mainly full-size components (as opposed to surface mount which are a b@st@rd to work with). The [url="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l3K_uu1rgsU/RyNJ7PHiPAI/AAAAAAAAAiY/MmquCa02_2Q/s1600-h/picklesch.gif"]schematic[/url] shows that there is a passive EQ network, and I would suggest experimenting with component values e.g. using a smaller value for C13 to roll off the bass frequencies after the clipping stages. You could always make this switchable from the top panel, i.e. a guitar/bass toggle switch.

Just a thought...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1374395954' post='2148232']
If you wanted something Muff-esque, look to the Tarkin - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212627-tarkin-fuzz-demo-look-and-listen/page__pid__2146951#entry2146951

Incidentally, I found the same things with I've heard mixed Swollen Pickle!
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one! The Tarkin is beginning to look like the leader at the moment, it's one of my preferred choices with the ED hoof fuzz, definitely gonna look into that one.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1374397451' post='2148243']
I tried the fog bass fuzz from mooer the other day and I was pretty impressed.
Almost instantly I found a passable 'time is running out' type sound. At £60 ish, it's gotta be worth a try
[/quote]

Ive heard mixed things about the mooer fog, I'll give it a try next time I'm near one, £60 can't be bad!

Sounds like the issue you're having is when you send a bass heavy signal into the pedal it overloads it, making it sound bad?

I had the same issue with the Supercollider and Pickle Pie B in conjunction with my high output BB415. Those pedals would sound great with my Precision but didn't respond well to hot signals, which is one of the major reasons I've stuck with the EHX BBM. I did try the Tall Font Russian as a smaller alternative, it takes hot signals almost as well as the BBM but I hated the blend on it (it's available with a built in blend like the Pickle Pie), it sounded like it was out of phase.

The Tarkin has got my attention!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1374397231' post='2148240']
Before you chop and change, do you know anyone that's into modding pedals? Having looked at a gut-shot, the main circuit board uses mainly full-size components (as opposed to surface mount which are a b@st@rd to work with). The [url="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l3K_uu1rgsU/RyNJ7PHiPAI/AAAAAAAAAiY/MmquCa02_2Q/s1600-h/picklesch.gif"]schematic[/url] shows that there is a passive EQ network, and I would suggest experimenting with component values e.g. using a smaller value for C13 to roll off the bass frequencies after the clipping stages. You could always make this switchable from the top panel, i.e. a guitar/bass toggle switch.

Just a thought...
[/quote]

Hadn't thought about that. I'll have a look and see how confident I feel!

...and if I can get over the lure of pedal shopping!

After a few more rehearsals with various settings and ideas put in place with the Swollen Pickle, it seems it's too swollen for me!

Going to go with the COG Tarkin or the EQD Hoof Fuzz I recon, might even see if I can blag a muff sound with an overdrive which I desperately need too.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in said Swollen Pickle, it's now up for sale for £100 + £5 P&P

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210713-pedal-sale-now-with-added-swollen-pickle/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks!