Why become a member? ×

Cheap Rockbags

ianrunci

I just bought a 4 unit one off ebay for £10.50 brand new in the box. This is the link iuf anyone wants to grab one of these while they can

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150255186385"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150255186385[/url]

not sure what they usually go for but I thought a tenner was ridiculous :)

[quote name='aceuggy' post='215922' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:13 AM']Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a rockbag? Is it a gig bag kind of thing?[/quote]

Its a 19 inch rack insde a gig bag

This one didn't have a buy it now price either, I emailed him and he offered it to me for £10.50, has to go down as my bargain of the year I think :)

[quote name='dabootsy' post='215999' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:02 AM']does anyone know the size i would need if i was to take my abm 500 combo amp out of the combo and use it as a seperate head
cheers all[/quote]

That would be 2 units I would presume, although you would be better going for 4 or 6 since they are all the same price which would enable you to add a tuner, and fx etc

[quote name='ianrunci' post='216003' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:08 AM']That would be 2 units I would presume, although you would be better going for 4 or 6 since they are all the same price which would enable you to add a tuner, and fx etc[/quote]

cheers for that

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='215910' date='Jun 10 2008, 08:43 AM']Excellent link - outstanding!

RRP in Germany is €115 but MusikProduktiv do them for €72.50.

Or you could go to The Bass Centre, of course, if you don't mind paying £52.

:huh:[/quote]

Hi Jack, have they arrived?

Do the front and back zip flap things come right off or just fold up and velcro in position?
And could I stack my percussion box on top of the rackbag on top of my cabs? The top looks a bit too lumpy to put things on (and expect them to stay there :) )

[quote name='OldGit' post='217015' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:41 PM']Hi Jack, have they arrived?

Do the front and back zip flap things come right off or just fold up and velcro in position?
And could I stack my percussion box on top of the rackbag on top of my cabs? The top looks a bit too lumpy to put things on (and expect them to stay there :) )[/quote]

It's fold up and velcro.

I would have thought it'd be ok to stack stuff on top of it while it's closed, but probably not while its open. Unless you put your rack stuff in upside down, and fold the flaps underneath the rockbag, leaving a flatter surface on top. ??

[quote name='stoo' post='217304' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:21 AM']It's fold up and velcro.

I would have thought it'd be ok to stack stuff on top of it while it's closed, but probably not while its open. Unless you put your rack stuff in upside down, and fold the flaps underneath the rockbag, leaving a flatter surface on top. ??[/quote]

Hum yeah looking at some details pictures that's what I figured.
Shame .. I need something a bit less wobbly :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='217015' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:41 PM']Hi Jack, have they arrived?

And could I stack my percussion box on top of the rackbag on top of my cabs? The top looks a bit too lumpy to put things on (and expect them to stay there :) )[/quote]

Just arrived - perfect nick & exactly as described.

As Stoo says, the flaps at each end are zip-around on three sides and fold up to be held with velcro.

Inside, it's basically a box made of MDF(?) covered with a padded, waterproof jacket. I know it's German, and I know it's the cheapest form of racial stereo-typing, but the phrase "like a tank" keeps coming to mind.

This is not a light-weight item. Empty, it must weigh over 10lbs. Fill it with amps & effects and you'll be using a trolley.

As to strength, I doubt I'd be prepared to stand on it but I've just leant about a third of my weight onto the thing and there was no sag at all. I'd be pretty comfortable putting any single piece of kit (apart from a cab, obviously) on top. What you DON'T want to do is stress it from an angle - it's not particularly well jointed and could probably fold itself into a parallelogram quite easily. On the other hand, using it as intended and filling it with 19" rack equipment would act as internal bracing.

Laid flat, as you would normally do, it has six sets of pyramid feet to spread the load and make it non-slip. The top is more or less flat, with just the folded-back flap to disturb it. Flap area is about 20"x12", top left uncovered by flap is about 20"x7". Those measurements are not intended to add up to the actual dimensions of the top, which are about 20"x20" externally.

There are further sets of pyramid feet on one end to allow it to be stood upright and used like a bulky suitcase when in transit. It might be possible to use it in that position on-stage for some reason, but it's hard to imagine why.

Hope that helps.

I bid on a 2U version and someone must have had automated counter bidding on it too, every time I bid they went up 50p automatically. so I gave up at £15.00, he then sent me second chance offer at £15.00 that I accepted which still seems cheap, I noticed one went for over £23.
Not sure what i'll put in it mind.....

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='217593' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:40 PM']I'd be pretty comfortable putting any single piece of kit (apart from a cab, obviously) on top.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

That helps a lot ... actually a cab on top was one possibility :)

I've just bought one of the Tribal Planet GX15/B deluxe padded bass case from this guy, and it's top notch!! I too was bidding on one and was out bid and the guy offered me one on a 2nd chance offer on one for a tenner including the postage.....a bloody bargain if you ask me!!! I bought it yesterday and it's just turned up and like I said it's superb!! So you can't say fairer than that really. So thanks for the initial heads up

[quote name='Wooks' post='220483' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:42 AM']I've just bought one of the Tribal Planet GX15/B deluxe padded bass case from this guy, and it's top notch!! I too was bidding on one and was out bid and the guy offered me one on a 2nd chance offer on one for a tenner including the postage.....a bloody bargain if you ask me!!! I bought it yesterday and it's just turned up and like I said it's superb!! So you can't say fairer than that really. So thanks for the initial heads up [/quote]

Your welcome, as soon as I see a bargain my first thought (well....maybe second lol) is to share it with my fellow string pluckers. I am in fact going to buy another one from them right now for my new bass rig

Ian

[quote name='ianrunci' post='221545' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:10 PM']Your welcome, as soon as I see a bargain my first thought (well....maybe second lol) is to share it with my fellow string pluckers. I am in fact going to buy another one from them right now for my new bass rig

Ian[/quote]

He's sold out of the 2U now and only got 4 and 6 U left according to him last night....£15.00 each