Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers at Hyde Park - embarrassing

Jah Wibble

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373905219' post='2142952']
I remember [u]free [/u]summer concerts in Hyde Park back in the 1970's with Queen , Steve Hillage ect , and the P.A was perfectly adequate . Now it's ( allegedly ) 2013 , it's a prestige gig and they are charging big money for tickets . Sounds like a complete bollocks up all round . They ought to give refunds .
[/quote]

+1 to this.
That's what I meant about the UK's reputation with artists being damaged by f**kups like yesterday.
I can't claim to be around when the legendary gigs were on, but the heritage is there.....not sure where its being continued today tho

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1373907003' post='2142992']

In my opinion...no.
[/quote]

Well unfortunately by the time J Lo came on with her Time Crisis/ Street Fighter set, everything was stush and clear as a bell, maybe because most of the backing might've been on DAT?
She did have a couple of live musicians on stage but didn't stick around to hear if it was comin through

Edited by Jah Wibble

Been and done outdoor gigs. Sound in the majority is crap. I notice tho' that the punters are not treated as hostile as in the past. Now they are mote pleasant.
There are only 3 headlining bands I would see outdoors (and it must be Twickenham a 20 min walk down yhe road )Rammstein, Jean michel Jarre and Metallica.
With the 1 st 2 , you are guaranteed a spectacular show. Etc.

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1373907398' post='2142999']
+1 to this.
That's what I meant about the UK's reputation with artists being damaged by f**kups like yesterday.
I can't claim to be around when the legendary gigs were on, but the heritage is there.....not sure where its being continued today tho
[/quote]

Why can't we have free gigs now ?( I was [i]very[/i] young back then , I hasten to add ) Bands would play for cost because of the massive exposure and publicity they would get , the place would be packed for any half-decent bill and it would be a real pick-me-up for London and Britain as a whole at a time when we need it .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373910412' post='2143037']

Why can't we have free gigs now ?( I was [i]very[/i] young back then , I hasten to add ) Bands would play for cost because of the massive exposure and publicity they would get , the place would be packed for any half-decent bill and it would be a real pick-me-up for London and Britain as a whole at a time when we need it .
[/quote]

Yeah, but in those days everybody was making money selling records.

In another life I was a stage lighting tech, and we did plenty of outdoor gigs in various weather conditions. It all comes down to the experience of the crew, if I alone had to run those shows there would have been similar results to Niles' Hyde park gig, but fortunately the powers that be had the foresight to never leave me in charge! There was always an experienced guy running the show who had been through it all before. Every now and then you would get a complete left field short term brown trousers moment, but to have amps overheat, or to leave vox mics off a freakin strand for the main show is just downright amateur.
With regards to the quality of the mix, it's worth Incorming the general public that the vast majority of big acts will have their own front of house engineer (the guy who mixes the PA) and even from those guys I have heard some awful mixes. I saw Ben Harper once and didn't last the whole show!
I just feel bad for the artist when it all goes down like this, it must be aweful!

I only just missed out on free tickets to that gig through work and then the following day half price tickets. Kind of glad I didn't make it now, not seeing them perform at their best would have left me gutted!

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1373910806' post='2143043']
Yeah, but in those days everybody was making money selling records.
[/quote]

Exactly. These days the live performance is the product and the recording is the promotion for that rather than the other way around as it used to be up until the mid 90s.