Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jazz Neck Problem

spongebob

I bought a pre-2012 US Standard Jazz about a month ago. Brand new, old stock.

Upon purchase, it was clear the neck needed adjustment - like playing a banana!

Had a full set up....but within a couple of weeks, the neck had returned to the same position it started from. Relief through the roof.

Took it back and it was tweaked again. But here we are a week later, and it's back there yet again!

I've never had this before.....do I have a problem? I can go on adjusting on a weekly basis forever??

I'm not an expert on neck adjustments, but I've always been under the impression that it should take a week at most for a neck to settle. On a bass that's almost 2 years old, I wouldn't think you should be getting any movement if you haven't changed strings.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with the prospect of weekly truss-rod tweaks. Assuming you still have the receipt, I would return it. You say you took it back for the adjustments - I assume you mean to the shop where you bought it? If they've had to tweak the truss rod twice in under a month, I don't think they can argue with you asking for a refund.

I actually bought the bass from Reidys over the phone.

Took it to my local luthier for adjustment - restrung it the week I bought it, around 4 weeks ago.

Only one pinhead indentation, otherwise like new.

I'm well over the 14 days return.period, so not sure where I stand? I downsized for financial reasons, and I feel I've ended up in a bit of a mess!

It's moved back to where it started from - 2nd time within a week....

My understanding is that if it's a faulty item - and that is certainly how this sounds - the 14 day return period doesn't apply.

In fact, just looking at Reidy website: [url="http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?PageName=Returns"]http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?PageName=Returns[/url]

[b] Faulty items under guarantee[/b]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]The repair procedure for items which are under guarantee varies from manufacturer to manufacturer - please refer to the documentation which accompanied your purchase or complete the returns request form and we will advise you of the appropriate process.[/size][/font][/color]

-

I would hope a US Fender would come with at least a 12 month warranty (I've never bought one!) so I would check the documents that came with the bass, and then contact Reidys and explain the situation.

I'll check.

I know the paperwork is standard Fender, but the bass was built a few years back.

I've used it for the month, so it's mint, but not now as new.

I think it might depend on customer service - I'm always a bit worried if any shop wants to take a look, especially doing it all by post.

My luthier said last time - dont panic if it moves again, just tweak it.

It's just never happened before, especially twice in such quick succession.

I can't see them refunding me.....and I'm not big on distance repairs either....I'm at a loss as to why it keeps moving back to its starting point, especially with a graphite rod running through it!

Spoke to Reidy's today. They did apologise, but said I'd have to fill out a request to return, and probably wouldn't get any response until next week - even though I phoned at around 10am!

Bit miffed, so I rang Fender direct. Their UK address is only about an hour from me - they were really cool, and said I could pop in and drop it off to them.

I did that this afternoon - chap I spoke to was really nice, and after one look, said it might need a new neck - which may take some time to acquire and fit. Even so, great confidence was installed as it was clear they were taking it very seriously.

Now's the other problem - last week, I went down to one bass...and now it's off, I'm bass-less for the first time, well, ever! Lucky there's a couple of weeks until the next gig, and no rehearsals as we're looking for a new drummer.

I hope it's not like an appliance that breaks when 'new', you never trust it again and keep inspecting it for faults. I'm half tempted to grab something similar, and sell it when it's all fixed....it's just the end to a very crap week, so my heads all over the shop!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1373646395' post='2140197']
Spoke to Reidy's today. They did apologise, but said I'd have to fill out a request to return, and probably wouldn't get any response until next week - even though I phoned at around 10am!

Bit miffed, so I rang Fender direct. Their UK address is only about an hour from me - they were really cool, and said I could pop in and drop it off to them.

I did that this afternoon - chap I spoke to was really nice, and after one look, said it might need a new neck - which may take some time to acquire and fit. Even so, great confidence was installed as it was clear they were taking it very seriously.

Now's the other problem - last week, I went down to one bass...and now it's off, I'm bass-less for the first time, well, ever! Lucky there's a couple of weeks until the next gig, and no rehearsals as we're looking for a new drummer.

I hope it's not like an appliance that breaks when 'new', you never trust it again and keep inspecting it for faults. I'm half tempted to grab something similar, and sell it when it's all fixed....it's just the end to a very crap week, so my heads all over the shop!
[/quote]

That's great service from Fender - good to know they're reliable. And if it gets a new neck, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I don't believe a body can cause a neck to warp!

Shame about being bass-less, though. I wonder if there are any kind souls in your neck of the woods that might offer you a loaner for a week or two?

I think I'll have invest in a back-up.

Always thought I could cope with a single bass.....and as soon as I do, there's a problem!

I think it's a way of telling me that me that as an active bassist, you should have a spare.

Just wish this had happened before I sold me perfectly fine 'other' bass last week...... :blush:[size=4] [/size]

That's really kind of you, Stu - really appreciate that.

Ordering a back-up today, so will be here Tuesday.

Had a phone call this morning asking me to dep for a gig in August (outside of current band), lots of stuff to learn, etc. Such a rarity - and all happens when bass-less....what are the odds? I couldn't make it up.

This weekend has been a lesson learned - always have a back-up - and as I said earlier, something I always did until a week ago!

Thanks again for the offer Stu. If I can ever help you out, just let me know. :)[size=4] [/size]

The neck was a dog...it happens.

I had a Jaydee that developed an evil back bow that eventually rendered it totally unusable - such a stressful experience. The vast majority of bass necks are wood which can at times be unpredictable and unstable by nature...considering the amount of wooden necks that a company like Fender make there is bound to be one or two like this that slip through the net.

Well done to Fender for sorting this. I had a Lakland Skyline neck that developed a crack - they had a new neck shipped to me toot sweet and paid for a luthier to fit it with no qualms.

Good customer service is everything.

Spoke to Fender today.

They adjusted the neck on Friday, and it had moved again by Monday.

Opinion is the truss rod isn't gripping properly.

Solution is, they have a neck on order, and will replace it when it arrives. I've been promised the bass back, fully set-up, late this week or early next.

Very friendly people to deal with. If this all works as promised, customer service 100%.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1373574560' post='2139287']
I bought a pre-2012 US Standard Jazz about a month ago. Brand new, old stock.

Upon purchase, it was clear the neck needed adjustment - like playing a banana!

Had a full set up....but within a couple of weeks, the neck had returned to the same position it started from. Relief through the roof.

Took it back and it was tweaked again. But here we are a week later, and it's back there yet again!

I've never had this before.....do I have a problem? I can go on adjusting on a weekly basis forever??
[/quote]

Could be the fret slots were not the right width for the actual frets. I think this was the problem on a Fender neck that I had problems with. I read many years ago that if for any reason the frets are 'forced' by a press/machine into slots that are slightly too narrow, the neck can be 'forced', possible back bow but definite unstablility. My Fender neck would not settle in and caused problems on a tour. A replacement neck has sorted this and the old neck now de-fretted may become a fretless.

Got it back just now (luckily off work today as I didn't know it was coming!).

What can I say? Fantastic job. Card confirms it's had a new neck and a complete set-up, and couriered here for free.

It plays amazingly well, so I'm a happy customer. Only dropped it off a week ago last Friday.

Full marks to Fender - I can't imagine Rickenbacker/Rosetti (who I've had dealings with) doing this. Last problem I had with a brand new 4004 I was told with the problem it had, 'that's the way it's supposed to be'!