Why become a member? ×

Best flats for a P Bass guys and gals?

Mr Fretbuzz

Having studied this thread in depth I have just taken delivery of a set of D'Addario Chromes 45-100 for my Sandberg VM4, which is basically a P with an extra MM pickup near the bridge. These will replace the roundwounds that it came with. Comments to follow soon!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1373463666' post='2137885']
Given that flats last forever, you may need to re-calibrate concepts like "expensive". :D
[/quote]

Sorry, but I disagree that flats last forever. Its all down to taste and I find flats go off just as quick as rounds. I just love the new sound of strings, even flats :rolleyes:

Chromes are well-known as some of the brightest flats you can buy - it's got to be down to the materials used. I've tried La Bellas (like them, but too 'floppy' for me) and currently use Lakland Joe Osborne Signature Flats, which I like very much - 'stiffer' than La Bellas but not like Chromes - I found Chromes too 'stiff' and too bright for my liking.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376257087' post='2171511']
Chromes are well-known as some of the brightest flats you can buy - it's got to be down to the materials used. I've tried La Bellas (like them, but too 'floppy' for me) and currently use Lakland Joe Osborne Signature Flats, which I like very much - 'stiffer' than La Bellas but not like Chromes - I found Chromes too 'stiff' and too bright for my liking.
[/quote]
One of my reasons for trying the Chromes was to see if I would want them on my 5-er - stiff is good when it comes to the low B! There is still a lot less top than from rounds when using a pick though. I will see how it goes over time and in a band situation.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1380997295' post='2233283']
Well I've been playing with the La Bellas. My P sounds great. Love it. Really glad I made the change. Like the feel of them now too. Feels strange playing my other basses with round wounds. It's given me just the sound I was after. Sounds awesome playing Blues and Country. :-)
[/quote]
Another convert :D
I think once you get past a month or so's use, they seem to bed in and the true sound emerges.

I also found that if I go back to a bass with roto sound swings on them, my speed and strength seem to have gotten better, probably due to the extra tension on the la Bella's?