Why become a member? ×

Amp upgrade advice needed!

funkyjimbob

Hi,
I don't post here very often but felt this was a good time to do so as I am looking to upgrade my amp.

I currently have a Gallien Krueger RB700mk2 which I like but feel that it isn't what I am looking for sound wise. I am a big fan of the Aguilar heads and have been looking at these but I have been out of the loop in the last few years in regards to bass amps and am really quite lost!

I am going to trade in my GK head and go for something ideally valve. I am a big fan of Stu Zender (Jamiroquai era) so that's why Aguilar first came to mind but if there are any other companies and brands people were to suggest then I will take a look!

So trade-in for GK (a few hundred pound?) and I reckon about 4-500 quid. Does anyone have good suggestions for a nice valve head for that price?

Thanks!

The only answer to these threads is "Bassdirect trip" (or similar) everyone else will just tell you to get what they have, I can almost guess who will say what and in what order!

I will start off by saying get a Genz Shuttlemax 9.2, valve channel and FET channel either on their own or blended into a 900w Class D output, foot switch controlable too :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373387465' post='2137009']
Recommend a valve head? No.

Instead have a look at the Aguilar Tonehammer 500. It won't break the bank or your back and will give you an Aguilar tone in a manageable package.
[/quote]

+1, as you already have a liking for Aguilar.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373387465' post='2137009']
Instead have a look at the Aguilar Tonehammer 500. It won't break the bank or your back and will give you an Aguilar tone in a manageable package.
[/quote]

Agreed. I recently picked up one of these and have been blown away by how good it is.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 as it's a reasonable price too but was keen on a valve or hybrid but not 100%. Is the sound very 'Aguilar'?
Also my local (Mansons) has an Aguilar ag500. What's the deal with these as can't find any info about them on the Aguilar site.

Also Ray, I have the head plus 410 GK cab if you are interested at all?

Edited by funkyjimbob