Why become a member? ×

BassChat bassists' clinic?

Hi everyone, I was thinking of a completely new idea for BassChat here... We've done all the "Bashes" and met up, traded, etc., and tried eachother's gear, but how about a Northern/Midlands based clinic (obviously folks from further afield would be welcome as well!) where we can all get together and share technical/playing experience & advice between us? I was thinking of approaching Dave Ryan at Electro Music in Doncaster and seeing if he'd be up for hosting it in the bass department.

Any thoughts, anyone?

What we really need is a luthier who will do what is needed and will be payed handsomely for the work, but has a courier account and charges cost price for moving basses backwards and forwards across the country. I have NO ONE close who's work I am happy with. I have 2 basses which need attention but no one I trust :)

Feel my pain!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='214878' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:41 PM']Hi everyone, I was thinking of a completely new idea for BassChat here... We've done all the "Bashes" and met up, traded, etc., and tried eachother's gear, but how about a Northern/Midlands based clinic (obviously folks from further afield would be welcome as well!) where we can all get together and share technical/playing experience & advice between us? I was thinking of approaching Dave Ryan at Electro Music in Doncaster and seeing if he'd be up for hosting it in the bass department.

Any thoughts, anyone?[/quote]

This sounds like a great idea, maybe more efficient in smaller numbers though - <10? I doubt anyone would have a problem with there being more than that but it could easily turn into a ‘Bash’ if larger number were to show up. Nothing bad with that though, maybe it could be a “Bass Bash Clinic” if lots of people wanted to go?
Depending on where it is (as I’ve transport issues – no car) I’d be interested.

I would be very interested indeed. Since I stopped having lessons, I have a small(ish) list of questions I would like to ask at such a clinic.

If we want a good work-shop to hand, how about going across to Sheffield to John Shuker's? I haven't been there so I don't know if that is even a sensible suggestion.

[Edit: My bass is in need of a good set-up but I would be just as interested in something which was limited to playing.]

Edited by 2wheeler

[quote]I have a Tutor coming to the Yorkshire Bass Bash (Sunday June 29th in case you've missed it!) who will be doing free tutorials during the day and running a Master class session with one of his pupils too![/quote]

I was thinking more on the lines of having no "stars" but instead the more advanced players amongst us running groups (as stonecoldbass mentioned) covering various topics/styles, such as jazz techniques, a slap clinic & walking basslines, or something along those lines.

It seemed to me that there's a whole lot of varying experience on here, so we could learn a lot from eachother :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='217272' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:05 PM']Won't be of much help to me as I'm on the south coast but I think it's an excellent idea and one that could be rolled-out elsewhere too.. Good luck with it![/quote]

Very good idea ..

[quote name='2wheeler' post='215073' date='Jun 8 2008, 08:07 PM']I would be very interested indeed. Since I stopped having lessons, I have a small(ish) list of questions I would like to ask at such a clinic.

If we want a good work-shop to hand, how about going across to Sheffield to John Shuker's? I haven't been there so I don't know if that is even a sensible suggestion.

[Edit: My bass is in need of a good set-up but I would be just as interested in something which was limited to playing.][/quote]

Jon's place is a dust, wood and tool filled workshop rather than a showroom ... and there's only three tea cups :)

I dont know, its DEFINATLY too far for me, I mean.. Electromusic... its a bit out of my way!

I have my bass lessons there. when you mean bass department.. you mean the accustic bit upstairs in the bass depo?

Im definatly up for it, its right on my doorstep, although im not sure ill be able to tell anyone anything they dont already know.

I'd be interested. Always looking to learn something new, and if there's tool related info available, even better! I would love to learn how to level/crown/profile frets and file nuts. Once I can do that I won't need to pay anyone for a setup ever again!

Mark