Why become a member? ×

Get Lucky - pitch-dependent bass effect

cloudburst

I'm pretty useless with effects.

Was just listening to Daft Punk's Get Lucky and noticed that there seem to be two distinct bass tones at play. The middle range notes seem to have a relatively clean tone. However, when the bass dips below a certain pitch, there appears to be an effect in use. The difference between the two tones seems quite marked.

Anyone shed any light?

CB

I "believe" there are two seperate bass tracks spliced together, as that's the case on a lot of the album but it doesn't really sound like that's the case, maybe some re-amping of some sort. I know two bass players plus probably Guy/Thomas themselves play on the album, though I don't have the insert with me at the moment so can't be sure of the performer credits. I think the low bass track is a 5/6 string (I have a feeling it's Nathan East as it sounds quite like his custom 6 string)

To my ears it sounds like the lows are carefully engineered and compressed to make it sound nice and thick and fat without being too overbearing but to add that padding to the whole track.

It sounds like a reasonably regular TRB-ish sound with some compression, the raspy ness sounds like that classic bridge pickup-y sound but over it sounds liek it has a wodge of bass boost and is being plucked firmly but soft to enough to be mellow (probably between the pickups ish, towards the bridge)/

Knowing Nathan Easts playing and sound that wouldn't hugely surprise me, but that's mostly a guess bassed on listening to it as I type it, being a Nathan East and a Yamaha TRB/ Older style BB fan.

It's Daft Punk. Who knows what's going on there? Those particular notes sound to me as if it's some sort of octaver personally or even doubled up on a synth. The bass has probably been tracked a few times too. It's so processed it's impossible to tell how they've achieved that sound.

I must say, being able to identify a player and he bass used is quite an incredible talent!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1373278126' post='2135497']
(...)

I must say, being able to identify a player and he bass used is quite an incredible talent!

Truckstop
[/quote]

In my case, my talent is called "google" ;)

[url="http://artistworks.com/blog/daft-punk-get-lucky-features-nathan-east-bass"]http://artistworks.com/blog/daft-punk-get-lucky-features-nathan-east-bass[/url]

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1373278126' post='2135497']
It's Daft Punk. Who knows what's going on there? Those particular notes sound to me as if it's some sort of octaver personally or even doubled up on a synth. The bass has probably been tracked a few times too. It's so processed it's impossible to tell how they've achieved that sound.

Truckstop
[/quote]

:lol: I knew he was playing on the album, but I'm also very familar with the Yamaha TRB/Older BB sound and Nathan East's style as they are some of my favourites in the world of bass, and it sounds like it's in that ball park!

Also, yes it does sound like there is a synth doubling the lows!