Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass In Trouble

I decided to strip the paint from my 1994 Fender Jazz MIJ. I once used paint-stripper on a Musicmaster and it worked a treat so I attempted the same only to discover the new recipe in modern stripper is useless.
I cant imagine trying to rub the bass down using sandpaper. I dont have the skills, so I'm now thinking of trying to prep the bass for a respray.
Can knowedgeable peeps out there please tell me how I can make this work?
I have so far tried to leave the pickups and wiring in place but im going to have to remove them and hope I can rewire them myself as Im a complete novice.
Bass was a poor relic Olympic White. Black or Sonic Blue would be nice in the future.
Here are some pics of its current status.

[quote name='Grissle' timestamp='1372712405' post='2129118']
Heat gun and scraper are your friends here.
[/quote]

Nah I did that once, it's too easy to scorch it.

I'm stripping a Jazz body at the moment that's got a ridiculously thick paint job. I'm using Nitromors 'craftsman' strength and while I agree it's nowhere near as good as it used to be, it got through god knows how many layers of paint in several applications and scrapes over a couple of hours. This was paint a good 2mm thick.

Give it ten minutes to soften the paint, scrape it off, re-apply. You'll get there eventually. If you don't have the patience for paint stripper then use a sander, not a heat gun.

In principle yes. In theory you can sand it to get a good key for the paint and paint a good layer of primer over it.

Here's one I did earlier (Stripped by blowlamp) :
After blowlamp

Then later after spraying

If you're painting the body does it really matter if some of the wood goes a slightly darker colour with the heat from a gun?
If it's covered with the paint and it wont get seen who will know? (As long as it's not charred and burnt so much as to make it flaky)

But to answer the original question... you seem to be doing ok already. It looks primed and ready. What I would do if I were you is take out the elects completely so you can spray it all in one go. I'm sure that putting them back in wont be a problem.

Edited by Grangur

In the past I've just used a range of coarse to fine abrasive paper and done it by hand!! Takes and while but does do the trick :lol: . ps. use a sanding block on the flat surfaces to prevent leaving an uneven finish.

Edited by jimbobothy