Why become a member? ×

The Who 'Quadrophenia' Tour 2013

bassintheface

Was lucky enough to see the first ever live performance of Quadrophenia back in 1996 at the Prince's Trust Masters of Music festival in Hyde Park along with Jools Holand, Alanis Morrisette, Bob Dylan, and Eric Clapton! Got to stand right at the front and spent the whole of the Who's set watching the Ox with my chin on the floor. I'd been playing for about 18 months and was just astounded that it was even possible to do some of the stuff he was playing on a bass! Such a shame he's no longer with us but if anyone can cover for him I guess its Pino.
Guarantee you'll have an awesome night!

they were awesome.

Pino is just unbelievable - so cool, yet his playing is just spot on. Effortless, but just 'right' abd locked in to such a goove with the drums.
I was on Pino's side of the stage. His gear was turned in slightly so I couldnt see what amps he was using, but from the rear / side, they looked like a pair of Ampeg SVTs.
The cabs seemed to be a pair of silverface Fenders - and 8x10 possible, plus maybe a 6x10.

He played a black Fende Jaguar for most of the gig, with his salmon coloured P for a few songs.

Really enjoyed it. Especially when Pete discovered his red strat was slightly out of tune in the middle of a song - he unplugged it hastily, clearly annoyed and threw it at his tech!! The strat bounced off the stage and his tech handed him a replacement!!

The support band were seriously good too - Vintage Trouble.........

Great bass player too, using Aguilar amps and cabs.

I was at the Manchester gig last night - I've seen the Who a couple of times many years ago and they were exceptional. However, the performance last night was towering - Daltrey and Townsend were clearly enjoying themselves and the band was peerless. A perfect, exceptionally powerful rendition of some of the finest material from the rock canon. I dislike the MEN Arena intensely but the sound last night was very impressive - clearly a great deal of thought and expertise in assemblage and operation of the FoS rig. Don't get me wrong on this - I'm a massive fan of Pino - a great player and a good guy, and his handling of JE's lines is fantastic (about as good as anybody could get I'd say). The bass tone however, lacked any penetration and some of those Quadrophenia tracks that are highly bass-driven were missing the essential note definition. Without malice or critique of PP's performance, I'd honestly advise the use of a Status or Alembic (or something similar). The passage in 5.15 in which we're treated to archive visuals and audio of JE is outstanding (JE is playing his Status Buzzard) - no lack of definition at all and a glorious, aggressive, clanging menace. I can't help thinking that (i) PP should try to reproduce JE's tone (in keeping with what is a fairly straight presentation of Quadrophenia) and (ii) this wouldn't be massively difficult. PP has the talent and technical ability to pull off the lines extremely well - let's hear them as they should be heard.

Back to the performance as a whole. If you can get yourself a ticket to the remaining gigs on the tour, treat yourself. Astonishing and magical. As good as a gig can be for me.

Edited by lozbass

I saw the Who twice with the Ox, thankfully, and to be honest I really have no interest in seeing them without him. Pino is a great player, but watching the Who with Pino is IMO rather like watching the Jimi Hendrix Experience featuring Eric Clapton.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372108572' post='2121830']
I saw the Who twice with the Ox, thankfully, and to be honest I really have no interest in seeing them without him. Pino is a great player, but watching the Who with Pino is IMO rather like watching the Jimi Hendrix Experience featuring Eric Clapton.

[/quote]
+1
Saw the Who at Belle Vue, Swansea FC and New Bingley Hall with JE and Keith-anything else is a pale shadow. Oh, and Charlton! Forgot about that...

Edited by AussieBassman

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen them at wembley and go along with Lozbass - there was just not enough of him in the mix and the Jag didn't really impose itself.

On the whole, though, what a show - and the sep US drummer standing in for Zak Starkey was flawless.

Vintage Trouble were [i]odd[/i]. For the first half of their first half-hour I thought they were a piss-take. Mind you, last support band I thought that about was the Darkness!