Why become a member? ×

Another NBD: I had to grab 'er.

grayn

Yes, I've officially gone bass mad.

Having found my little 60s style, Epi Rumblekat bass, a few weeks ago, I've really got into the retro thing. So I thought I'd move on a decade and went for the Gibson Grabber 3: 70's tribute bass.

It'll probably be impossible to find a hard case for (comes with gigbag), as it has a wide body and headstock but I doin't care. This is a seriously cool, individual bass.
It's pretty much made of nothing but maple. And with it's uniquely wired, 3 single coil pickups, it really is something else.

Yipee!

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371839151' post='2118773']
Very nice, those 3 single coils should give a lot of options tone wise and a great dub tone from the neck pick up.
[/quote]

Not as many as you may think. The mid pickup is always on, in reverse phase.
So the 3-way selector is: neck+mid - all 3 - mid+bridge.
The mid pickup also acts as a hum canceller.
Kind of wierd but with the all maple coonstruction, it all adds up to a very cool, individual sounding and playing bass, IMO.

Saw Lefties Soul Connection performing last Saturday, their bass player used one of the original G3's with those white rail pickups through an Ampeg SVT + 8x10. Massive thump, sounded incredible! I also really like the look of Grabbers and Rippers, they're just massive!

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1371927771' post='2119788']
Saw Lefties Soul Connection performing last Saturday, their bass player used one of the original G3's with those white rail pickups through an Ampeg SVT + 8x10. Massive thump, sounded incredible! I also really like the look of Grabbers and Rippers, they're just massive!
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I used to think that Grabbers and Rippers were quite ugly. :gas:
Now, I luv 'em.
I've just moved from using Ampeg (got too heavy), to a GK head and MarkBass cab and the Grabber sounds awesome through them. :)

Very cool bass, and nice review too. Promenade is my local music shop and I've been meaning to try out the G-3 they've had there for ages...guess I won't bother now! I picked up an original 1976 G-3 earlier this year and it's currently being restored, but having owned one previously, they're really cool basses that pack a real punch. Good buy!

Thanks [color="#282828"]umcoo.[/color]

[color="#282828"]Though I live an hours drive from Promenade, I go there a lot. Great shop.[/color]
[color="#282828"]That restoration sounds interesting, you should post pics.[/color]

It is a great shop - Gary in the bass department is spot on.

I've been collecting bits for the G-3 for a few months, and dropped it all off with Jack Ellis at Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester yesterday. Gonna need a new fretboard and lacquer so looking at least 2 months away....