Why become a member? ×

Swapping between 20/24 fret basses

lojo

The bass that trips me up occasionally is my Hohner B2A. It has a 34" scale and 24 frets which, in itself, is not problem. But the lack of a headstock does things to my brain subliminally and also the way it hangs throws the lower frets out a bit. Nevertheless with practice I get used to it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1371452497' post='2113956']
How has that got anything at all to do with the number of frets?
[/quote]

Ok technically its not the number of frets, its the fact the the body position (either by strap or sitting) pushes the neck a further away than a fender would, i guess hence the weird aftermarket strap bracket

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371453827' post='2113965']
Are you playing it sitting down or standing with a strap?

It would also help if you either told us what the new bass was or posted some pictures of it.
[/quote]

Its a Hohner B2A as Paul S above has commented on, nothing wrong with it plays lovely, its just weird having to stretch 3 frets further than im so used to.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371460435' post='2114035']
Its a Hohner B2A as Paul S above has commented on, nothing wrong with it plays lovely, its just weird having to stretch 3 frets further than im so used to.
[/quote]

That explains it. Your problems have nothing to do with the neck having 4 extra frets and everything to do with the completely different body shape with no top horn for the strap button which causes the whole bass to sit in a different position in relation to your body.

Fitting one of these will most likely sort it out:

Yes pulling the body over with one of those bars will make it sit as I'm used to.

I'll see if I can get the measurements from the steinberger one and fabricate one.

Cheers all, sorry I know I annoyed some you by mentioning no. of frets instead of body position.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371474757' post='2114242']
Yes pulling the body over with one of those bars will make it sit as I'm used to.

I'll see if I can get the measurements from the steinberger one and fabricate one.

Cheers all, sorry I know I annoyed some you by mentioning no. of frets instead of body position.
[/quote]

All you need to do is to make sure that it extends the strap button to the same point as it is on your Fender.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371474912' post='2114246']

All you need to do is to make sure that it extends the strap button to the same point as it is on your Fender.
[/quote]

Cheers, thought I was going mad, but this solution makes sense, ill get something made up

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371475305' post='2114251']

Cheers, thought I was going mad, but this solution makes sense, ill get something made up
[/quote]

Just before you do that, as someone with close to 30 years experience on Steinberger type instruments as well as the classics and 20, 21, 24 fret etc., I would humbly suggest that it may be the headless aspect which is throwing you off. Most folks tend to go for positions roughly 2 frets higher than they thought when adjusting to these basses.

You could try playing it exclusively for a while and see how you get on before drilling holes and fitting appendages. Sooner or later, you'll find it easy to go between headed/ headless, 20/ 24 etc.

Cheers

Ed