Why become a member? ×

300w amp powering 800w cab

krispn

Hey folks,

I recently picked up a 212 cab which is rated at 800w @8ohms

I'm currently running a 500w head which is giving 300w output @8ohms. Since switching to the 'big' in favour to my 112 I'm certainly noticing 'more' onstage power/heft/punch with the 212 than the 112 I was using before but was wondering if I should be looking for a head which can give the cab more oompf at the rated 8ohm.

I understand I'm not gonna damage the speakers 'under-powering' them but I'm concerned I'm running the head too close to it's limits (I gig for a couple of hours at a time usually between 5-10 gigs a month).

I haven't had any issues with the head overheating or the amp protection circuit kicking in or anything like that but just speculating if I should be thinking about a slightly more powerful head just to be on the safe side. I might just be trying to convince myself that I need a Genz Benz Shuttle 9/Streamer 900 :) but realistically am I just being too cautious?

Cheers for any thoughts.

Edited by krispn

I guess it all depends on how hard you are having to push your current amp on a regular basis. What is the amp ? Some have a rep of being able to take abuse more than others.
ON another note, wouldn't it be cheaper (and probably more effective in terms of volume) to buy another 8 ohm cab to both increase your speaker area and allow the amp to run at 4 ohms ?

I personally don't think you have to worry. Your amp is rated for 500w, running it at 300w isn't going to overload it. If you feel you need more power/sound, try first plugging in a second 8 ohm speaker like hamfist says. Do you have the 112 still? If that is a 8 ohm speaker, then try to have both plugged in first and see what that sounds like.

My rule of thumb is that if you are regularly running an amp at over 50% then you need a more powerful amp. Volume controls on amps might not be linear and 12 o'clock could actually be close to flat out.

Anyway, you don't need a more powerful amp to get louder but to reinstate the headroom at your normal volume. That will give you better tone than you’ll get by running an amp at the max.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1371274527' post='2111953']
Hey folks,

I recently picked up a 212 cab which is rated at 800w @8ohms

I'm currently running a 500w head which is giving 300w output @8ohms. Since switching to the 'big' in favour to my 112 I'm certainly noticing 'more' onstage power/heft/punch with the 212 than the 112 I was using before but was wondering if I should be looking for a head which can give the cab more oompf at the rated 8ohm.

I understand I'm not gonna damage the speakers 'under-powering' them but I'm concerned I'm running the head too close to it's limits (I gig for a couple of hours at a time usually between 5-10 gigs a month).

I haven't had any issues with the head overheating or the amp protection circuit kicking in or anything like that but just speculating if I should be thinking about a slightly more powerful head just to be on the safe side. I might just be trying to convince myself that I need a Genz Benz Shuttle 9/Streamer 900 :) but realistically am I just being too cautious?

Cheers for any thoughts.
[/quote]

Most modern gear is designed to be able to operate at or near it maximum output continuously. In your case you are only using 300 of the available 500w output power so your doubly safe. Dont bother upgrading unless you need it to actually be louder.

So yes you are worrying about nothing.

Edited by bassman7755

Just get the Genz anyway you will love it, the 900 watt heads into most brands of 2x12 cabs is the way forward! :D

You have missed something anyway though, the 900watt head will only give you that (if they even do) at 4 ohm so really you want a shuttle 9.2 and a matching cab to the one you have now! Oooooshhh as that ginger fella says :D

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1371274527' post='2111953']
was wondering if I should be looking for a head which can give the cab more oompf at the rated 8ohm.
[/quote]That depends on the drivers in the cab. Some top of the line twelves will take 400w before reaching their excursion limit, but most won't. The average twelve with 5mm xmax reaches its maximum low frequency output capability at no more than 150w, no matter what the voice coil thermal rating may be.

Cheers guys

The amp is a MarkBass made Ernie Ball Audiophile HD500 and with a Dr Bass2460 212 and sounds great. I understand more drivers will do more for volume than a 'louder' amp but I'm after a one cab solution as I cart the drummers gear abt too/space constraints on 'stage'.

I guess I was just concerned the amp would be toiling and I'm not looking for 900w on stage as my stage volume is fine likewise at 8 ohms I wouldn't be getting the full 900w power of the GB amp.

So the amp should be fine running 300w at 8ohms and if I need more 'power' just add another 8ohm cab. That's good enough for moi!

Thanks again folks

I think you'll be fine as you are. If you plug in another cab you'll get louder (though you've said you don't need this), and still only send 250 watts to each 8 ohm cab, so you're still 'underpowering' your 2x12. If however you regularly have your amp turned up to 11 then yes, you might consider a more powerful amp - not that it sounds as though you need it. Unless you have GAS, in which case just surrender and get on with it ;)

BB

I'm usually not pushing the head more than 1 o'clock on the output volume and there is certainly more volume on tap if I push it further. Once I switch on the compressor and the MXR I have more volume there too should I need it but I try and keep everything at sensible levels i.e. all pedal volumes about noon

I'm not really GAS'ing and new stuff is nice but it's not gonna sound radically different from what I have - I'm just more concerned about the head exploding mid set - at least I have the MXR and PA should that happen :)

Edited by krispn

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1371836550' post='2118743']
I'm just more concerned about the head exploding mid set
[/quote]

Your fear is completely irrational, move on, play, have fun B)