Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR 1600

lushuk

I tried the SR1204 & SR1604 in GuitarGuitar and was very impressed with the playability, balance and tonal range of both models. Great pick-ups. Really liked the natural wood finishes too.

Was just about to order the SR1206 NTF, but will hold off pending further feedback and investigation.

Worried that I now might be completely underwhelmed when compared to my recent aquisition of a Dingwall 5 ABII which is absolute magic. (probably not a fair comparison given the vastly differing price!)

Pop em onto flickr. Whilst on flickr, go to your photostream, click the pic you want & at the bottom right there's a box with an arrow coming out of it. Choose the option that says "
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][b]Grab the HTML/BBCode[/b][/size][/font][/color]" & make sure the bullet is on BBCode. Choose your size in the dropdown, copy the code & paste it straight into here (your reply box).
You should get a pic this size if you chose medium...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5699888754/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5699888754/]Manky looking body[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/xgsjx/]xgsjx[/url], on Flickr

I've been a confirmed Fender girl for ages, but picked up an SR600 for a decent price recently.

Really enjoyed the versatility that I didn't realise I'd been missing from my Precisions, plus the neck is a much better size for my stupid small girl hands.

It's a great bass. 2 piece ash body with a nice grain, 7.2lbs, sounds amazing, really well built, frets are perfect, action is super low... couldn't ask for more for the price.

Oh except one thing... it's so light that it's very slightly neck heavy. Not enough to dive though, fortunately.

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1372872676' post='2131046']
I've been a confirmed Fender girl for ages, but picked up an SR600 for a decent price recently.

Really enjoyed the versatility that I didn't realise I'd been missing from my Precisions, plus the neck is a much better size for my stupid small girl hands.

It's a great bass. 2 piece ash body with a nice grain, 7.2lbs, sounds amazing, really well built, frets are perfect, action is super low... couldn't ask for more for the price.

Oh except one thing... it's so light that it's very slightly neck heavy. Not enough to dive though, fortunately.
[/quote]
The 600's are excellent instruments!

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1372886501' post='2131305']
Makes me a bit nervy all this Ibby QC problems, i did notice the one im looking at neck pocket looks like it was made with a Stanley knife,. is it enough to put me off though, im not sure!
[/quote]

I must say I'm really surprised to hear of the QC problems given in this thread as it's the first I've heard of it. Every Ibanez bass I've played has been absolutely spot on.

I hope this isn't a sign of them going down hill :(

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1372906732' post='2131525']
I must say I'm really surprised to hear of the QC problems given in this thread as it's the first I've heard of it. Every Ibanez bass I've played has been absolutely spot on.

I hope this isn't a sign of them going down hill :(
[/quote]
Ditto. Always been super impressed with their QC previously.

Ok,
thanks [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2896-xgsjx/"]xgsjx[/url] for the instructions.

The entire "[b]orror[/b]" set is available here (if you click on any picture you will go to flickr page with bigger images):

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreapenna/sets/72157634481598475/[/media]

Edited by andreapenna

Ola',
so now I returned the SR1605 and received the SR1205.
No neck dive, perfect. All finitures are ok, all 5 bridges are into the top and not on the surface.
Great great but...

ops..

no wait...

I have to return it as well :blink: :unsure: :( :angry:

Let you try to guess what is wrong this time....

Yes... I was joking as well ;-)

Clearly you can't guess what is wrong because "you can't hear it", actually I can't here it as well: there is NO f***ing SOUND if the EQ is on!!!

And don't ask if the battery is ok, I've clearly checked.

So could be a wire is not connected but the liuthier I dropped an email said "I won't touch it because if I can't fix it, well, they will tell you your warranty is invalid now"

[quote name='andreapenna' timestamp='1372710928' post='2129067']
SR1605 arrived today :)

Will return it tomorrow, it's too neck diving for me (just checked and poplar is nearly half the weight of ovangkol) and probably this is an explanation why a 1606 doesn't exist: a six strings will be too neck diving to be acceptable.
And honestly the quality of the details is just acceptable :unsure:

I will order a 1205 instead.

[/quote]

Poplar is half the weight but that's why the body is made of mahogany, just like the sr1205. They just have differing top woods and I can't see the weight being much different to be honest.

Also, you bought something blind from Thomann and wonder why it's in poor condition? Because they don't even open the box to see what's in it!! Buying from a retailer is always better if you want to see it first and know its right IMO! Plus, most retailers can offer fixes under warrantee (for example, fixing the wiring that likely came loose during shipping or Thomann's vast warehouse) rather than you shipping stuff back and forth in exchange for refunds and purchases.

You also seem to have very bad luck. Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by skej21

Thanks guys for your comments :)

I confirm that the SR1605 was sensibly neck diving compared to the two SR1205 I tested: the top is not a thin layer, is probably thicker than 1/2 cm; so the difference is tangible.

To buy online or not... well, the Premium series isn't so widely available; I called a "bass only" shop and asked them do you have it? No, but if you pay 20% of the value we can order it, probably in three weeks it will be here, you then come to try it and if you don't like we give you a voucher for that 20%. What?
I realized I have more than 10 successful orders with Thomann so far, including my Ibanez SRA505.

Regarding the issue with the just arrived SR1205, I touched here and there and found a poor contact in one of the wires of the "high" pot. (could be due to the transport; the cardboard box arrived with the top half open).
Anyway, now that is solved. I will keep this bass - "Celebration"!!! :)

I think Mr. Ibanez has a serious issue with the quality of the Premium series; two failures out of three is not a great result.
I personally expect an industrial product to be an industrial product not that piece of raw wood as that SR1605 ...
I'm still wondering how it could have passed Ibanez quality checks... Quality? Checks? :blink:

Now is already tomorrow... rushing to sleep, got enough emotions today :)

Glad you've fixed the problem! But pretty worrying that 3 out of 3 arrived with issues, especially on a premium series.

Personally, I wouldn't have been able to fix the problem on the third (totally useless!) so that would have been a write off for me as well.

As I said before, I hope this doesn't signal a decline in the build quality and QC at Ibanez.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1373356853' post='2136495']
Glad you've fixed the problem! But pretty worrying that 3 out of 3 arrived with issues, especially on a premium series.

Personally, I wouldn't have been able to fix the problem on the third (totally useless!) so that would have been a write off for me as well.

As I said before, I hope this doesn't signal a decline in the build quality and QC at Ibanez.
[/quote]

I find it unlikely. I genuinely believe that Andrea is simply unlucky. We have a VERY quick turnaround of Ibanez basses in our store. We regularly (ie weekly) have SR300, SR500, SR600 or SR1200 being bought in store and replaced with new stock and I honestly cant think of one that has turned up in an unsatisfactory condition.

I reserve full judgement until my SR1605 has arrived as we've never had one in before but I'd hate the misfortune of one person's situation to reflect badly on such a great range of basses!

Edited by skej21

I've been keeping an eye for quite a while on these premium SR, finally ordered a 1605, I really hope the cuts in the wood are not as bad as the one Andrea had. I'd be really disappointed for the price tag of this bass... Anyway, I ordered on 06/24, hope the store get it soon. There's absolutely no store in the whole France who has one... Sometimes I feel I should have went with the 1205 instead of waiting for weeks... Anyway, I'll post here once I get it, hopefully it's as premium as it's supposed to be.