Why become a member? ×

Fenderbirds are go!

Muzz

OK, so this whole Fenderbird thing is becoming a bit of an obsession, but, after a very long time in the making, the Laklandbird lives!

A big, big thank you to Steve Curtis at PMT in Manchester for a cracking neck pocket, given a very unusual request - a 22-fret neck onto a 19-fret pocket. The pocket, like the first one he did for me, is airtight.

And yes, it also has the Most Pointless Top Five Frets in bass history, but as I get giddy and nauseous anywhere above the 12th fret, that won't be an issue for me.

Still some bits and bobs to do with pickups (Dingwall) and preamp (East U-Retro), but nearly there.

Here's the two of them together:

[attachment=136557:fenderbirds1.jpg]

[attachment=136558:fenderbirds2.jpg]

Oh, and one of them will be in the For Sale section soon - can't really justify two of them at once.

Wasn't it a JE prototype thing that never went anywhere?

Anyway, it's only got 20 frets... :D

Cheers chaps, like I say, it's a bit of an obsession now.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370797783' post='2105667']
Oooooh, the Laklandbird also has a supertone bringing up the rear. Beautiful bass! Me likey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

And Ultralites with a detuner at t'other end...no neck dive here... ;)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1370800022' post='2105733']
Wasn't it a JE prototype thing that never went anywhere?

Anyway, it's only got 20 frets... :D

Cheers chaps, like I say, it's a bit of an obsession now.

And Ultralites with a detuner at t'other end...no neck dive here... ;)
[/quote]
I am seriously impressed!

The body wood on the Epi T-Bird is a nice piece of Alder, which looks good, and there's very little Epi left in either of them, but the real test is how they play, which is...great. I'm convinced a great neck pocket makes a lot of difference, and that's down to Steve at PMT. It's a US Lakland neck, too, which will originally have cost zillions. I'll get some better pics of the Birdseye Lakland board, it's ridiculous.

Never liked Rosewood meself; maple all the way, or wenge at a push.

They're much brighter than the real thing, but then the Dingwall pickups are very different to Gibbo humbuckers, and by the time I've got the active 3-band in there, it'll be different again. They're a visual exercise as much as anything, and as such I think they work.

Oh, and it's not a Fender neck - it's a Mighty Mite Jazz, just to confuse things even further... ;)

I suppose on what sound you'd like to achieve from this customization, each to their own on body woods, necks, frets, hardware and electronics.

Personally, I like the Gibson TBird as it is. I think for myself to customize a Fenderbird, I'd add a jazz neck with rosewood frets and change to a badass bridge or something :) just something simplistic and what everyone's used to but as mentioned, everyone's different ;)

BSB

Yeah, as I said, it's more of an aesthetic exercise; the chrome covers and rings are going on there, too. It won't sound much like a T-Bird, but that's kinda the idea.

No need for a Badass - the Supertone bridge is a big improvement on the Gibbo 3-point one (which IIRC is the same on the £200 Epi and the £1000 US), and fits straight into the existing bridge mounts. It's the easiest bridge swap there is. :)

I just got the title reference! Man I haven't seen that old Thunderbird movie in ages and ages!

BTW I do have a Fenderbird,
[IMG]http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/Grissle209/492110E2-746E-4F22-86A0-EF95ADA8281C-8338-000001C169248D75.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Grissle