Why become a member? ×

ATS, amplification gear handmade in Italy...try it "on the road" !! :)

FrancescoMilazzo

Hello everybody !

As I wrote in my introduction thread ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207583-hello-everyone-ats-italy-supporter/"]http://basschat.co.u...taly-supporter/[/url] ), I'm an italian bass player based in London and I'm getting in multiple circles because I'm mainly musician, sound engineer and repairman…(plus I'm becoming videomaker too…but this is another story ahahah )…and have loads of other skills.

( for more infos about me, [url="http://www.facebook.com/francescomilazzobass"]http://www.facebook....escomilazzobass[/url] )

I'd like to start by the end: if you are interested in getting your sound to the next level and try my compact ATS rig I have here in London, just ask me !
I'll bring you the rig for one of your gig so you can try it in a band-situation and you can explore how it is.
Or I can bring it to you in order to have a tryout or a comparison between yours and this one :)) … that's all ! :)

[url="http://postimg.org/image/4dlkf4xkb/"][/url]

So…here are some words regarding me and my ideas :)) :

I'm ATS supporter from about 8 years, when I discovered the brand and bought my 2x10 (BS2X10CH) and after the LBA-5 head also.

I'm here in London and I'm spreading the word about ATS mainly because I want all bass players know that there is something different from other products currently on the market.

ATS products are engineered at the state-of-art (the REAL one, I mean) and they are for those musicians that want that an amp sounds as they want, playing what musician is playing (and not what the amp wants).
They came from Hi-End amplifiers building and turned also in bass-amplification from about 15 years, so they really know how to engineer something at top level quality and reliability.

[url="http://www.atsitaly.com"]http://www.atsitaly.com[/url] (sorry...english version coming soon !! ).

I play from 14 years and I've tried and owned LOADS of amps and basses and I've understood that the ONLY way to completely know if I like a bass or an amp (the final exam I mean) is playing it together with musicians in a band (that is totally different from play something in a shop only, I mean).
For this reason since I was here in London, I started to lent my ATS rig (composed by the LBA-5 head and the C312X1 cabinet) to friends who are curious about ATS's way and conception and I'm seeing that this thing works! A lot !

I'm lenting it to bass players during jam sessions (i.e. Hoxton Jam, Fuzz On Jam at Charlie Wrights, plus many openmics and gigs here in London) and for their gigs and everyone (i.e. the resident bass player and others guy during the jam) appreciate its, because they can easily try the rig and easily understand what they are playing with.

So, basically, if someone is interested to try it or is thinking about to buy something compact (or not…they make also "classical" cabinets and heads), just let me know and I'll bring the amp in the venue you play (for a beer as reward ahah :P ) so you can understand also "the way" they work through.
You will be totally impressed, trust me.

I'm not a marketer or a seller or stuff like this (and my comunication-abilities are quite bad -_-). What I can do, as musician/sound engineer/technician, is play with this beautiful amp and let it known to everyone.

I could spend LOADS of words to better give you the idea, but if you play just a couple of notes with this rig, you immediately understand without I get tendonitis writing here ahahah

So…that's all :)

If you are curious about me, just check:

my Facebook page at [url="http://www.facebook.com/francescomilazzobass"]http://www.facebook....escomilazzobass[/url]

my website at [url="http://www.francescomilazzo.com"]http://www.francescomilazzo.com[/url]

PS: sorry for language-mistakes...I'm still a english-newbie :)

Cheers :))

Edited by FrancescoMilazzo

FYI, ATS gear is available through Phil Nixon's fantastic BassGear outlet,in Twyford just west of London http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/ats/ I bet BCer Barrie (molan), who helps out st BassGear, will be along in a moment to add his thoughts on ATS :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1369890156' post='2093941']
FYI, ATS gear is available through Phil Nixon's fantastic BassGear outlet,in Twyford just west of London [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/ats/"]http://www.bassgear....s-and-cabs/ats/[/url] I bet BCer Barrie (molan), who helps out st BassGear, will be along in a moment to add his thoughts on ATS :)
[/quote]

Thanks Clarky :)

These really are amazingly well made amps & cabs. Superb pure sound quality but always sounding 'musical' and natural without that nasty sterility you get from some amps described as 'hi-fi'.

The head in particular is one of those that really lets you hear the sound of your bass rather than starting off with a tone that the manufacturer thinks your bass should have!

We had a customer in on Monday (another BC'er) who made the combination of the LBA5 head and a CX 310 & 312 cabs sound seriously nice with his funky GB bass.

All the prices on the latest stock are significantly lower now that the range has been properly established and distribution is sorted too :)

This guy is fantastic at what he does, I really recommend his expertise and get in contact with regard to anything bass or electronics. This is the man! (Also a really great guy who went well out of his way to help me out) I also hands down have to say that the amps he uses and endorses- ATS are out of this world! If you have never had the privilege of trying or hearing them, you are missing out!
Chris

Ahaha thank you mate !!! You make me blush ahah :) :)

News: next week probably (If I'll be still "unbooked" and free), the Rig will be at Hoxton Jam in London ( [url="http://hoxtonjamnight.co.uk/"]http://hoxtonjamnight.co.uk/[/url] ).

Come down for a tryout ! :) ...I'll keep you all updated!

It's the right place, the venue/room sounds good and you could check the ATS's out very well :)))

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1371379272' post='2113072']
How old is this company? I seem to recall I used a rig some time ago on a stage in Italy.
I didn't recognise it at the time but it was a pretty decent piece of kit.
[/quote]
Yep!
Enrico and family started the company in 1986 as "[color=#000000][b]A.T.S. (Advanced Telecommunication Systems)"[/b][/color] building equipment for radio transmissions and telecomunication in general (Worldwide..).

They began to engineer and built Audio Hi-End amplifiers in 1992 with the brand [color=#000000][b]“[i]ATS The Esoteric Choice”.[/i][/b][/color]

The first "official" bass cabinet exemplar is dated 2001 so they started with projects, prototipes, tryouts, and engineering bass systems a couple of years before 2001 :))

molan, yesssss. I think we'll catch up soon ;)

I should also add that Enrico is one of the nicest people you could ever meet!

Nothing is too much trouble and he takes his business incredibly seriously. He's always striving for improvements and continually tweaking his products.

He came over to visit BassGear recently and showed us how his cabs with the passive speakers are individually tuneable - in simple terms you tighten them for a cleaner crisper response and slacken them for a softer rounder low end. Very clever stuff.

He also insisted on having one cab sent back to Sicily for an upgrade to a circuit improvement which helped increase the power handling capacity - all at his own expense!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371388552' post='2113195']
...how his cabs with the passive speakers are individually tuneable - in simple terms you tighten them for a cleaner crisper response and slacken them for a softer rounder low end. Very clever stuff.

...for an upgrade to a circuit improvement which helped increase the power handling capacity
[/quote]

Now you see this is the reason why I am going to give up on reading anything further re. the merits of certain cabs and drivers and why things can't and won't work or who designs/makes the best and the inherent back-stabbing of the merits of each cab!

So you can slacken off a speaker to change/alter the tone/response... well can't you do that with any speaker and does that not totally nullify any 'tuning' of the driver to cab; you may as well chuck any random driver in.

A component can alter the power handling capacity of the cab - I assume that is some form of filter because surely the spec of the driver itself is the limiting factor in power handling?

I've decided to design and build my own cabs! You thought that Guy Pratt's 'sliding pup' Warwick bass was worthy of conversation; wait till you see my 'sliding wall' bass cab, my slogan will be something catchy like, "Tuneable to anything you chuffin want, just slide the top in and out... the sound in your head is the sound in your hands!" ...do you think it might catch on? :lol:

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371384363' post='2113146']
I think they were founded around '86 and started making bass specific stuff in '92.

Much Moore concentrated in this area over the last few years :)
[/quote]

Would have been early 90's I think. At first check I thought is was a Mesa Boogie rig, but the amp was
3-4u and the cab pretty like the 1516, IIRC... bit hazy though.
I wonder if I have any pics of it...or the stage.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1371391986' post='2113246']
Now you see this is the reason why I am going to give up on reading anything further re. the merits of certain cabs and drivers and why things can't and won't work or who designs/makes the best and the inherent back-stabbing of the merits of each cab!

So you can slacken off a speaker to change/alter the tone/response... well can't you do that with any speaker and does that not totally nullify any 'tuning' of the driver to cab; you may as well chuck any random driver in.

A component can alter the power handling capacity of the cab - I assume that is some form of filter because surely the spec of the driver itself is the limiting factor in power handling?

I've decided to design and build my own cabs! You thought that Guy Pratt's 'sliding pup' Warwick bass was worthy of conversation; wait till you see my 'sliding wall' bass cab, my slogan will be something catchy like, "Tuneable to anything you chuffin want, just slide the top in and out... the sound in your head is the sound in your hands!" ...do you think it might catch on? :lol:
[/quote]

You can't adjust the main speaker - that would definitely not be a good idea!

The ATS cabs in question have a pair of passive 'radiator' speakers. Not often used in guitar amps & cabs but much more common in hi-fi speakers (which is Enrico's background). I think the Mesa Walkabout cabs have these.

the core sound from each speaker comes from the active speaker but the passive ones somehow add a lot more depth to the tone (I have little understanding of the physics behind this but I certainly attest to the fact that it works!))

The adjustment in the passive speakers seems to make the cone more or less rigid within a fixed set of parameters. It's a marginal change in tone but, because the head & cabs are designed to be very pure in sound reproduction, Enrico believes that his customers would appreciate the potential to make really fine adjustments if mic'ing a cab for recording or just simply because they prefer the tone for general playing.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371388552' post='2113195']
I should also add that Enrico is one of the nicest people you could ever meet!

Nothing is too much trouble and he takes his business incredibly seriously. He's always striving for improvements and continually tweaking his products.

He came over to visit BassGear recently and showed us how his cabs with the passive speakers are individually tuneable - in simple terms you tighten them for a cleaner crisper response and slacken them for a softer rounder low end. Very clever stuff.

He also insisted on having one cab sent back to Sicily for an upgrade to a circuit improvement which helped increase the power handling capacity - all at his own expense!
[/quote]

Yes he is :)

Molan, probably has been a misunderstanding with these technical details (due to language probably :) ).
These are strictly advanced technical&engineering ones :)) , nothing that customers can do, in example, to tune the cab as they want :) .

I've just phoned Enrico and asked what about these things :)

When he showed you these details, he was explaining the "way" he engineered these "compact" cabs and was speaking about tuning the passive speakers due to the active one characteristics.
Becouse of the engineering-strategy of these compact cab (that is in the middle between an isobaric load and a push-push configuration) he showed you how he can calibrates the passive speakers weights in order to tune/match exactly the right response following the active speaker characteristics.
But these are advanced curiosities that I think 99% of customers can't appreciate (only becouse they'd require some technical knowledge about speaker building to understand this story :) ).

He bring the cab back in Italy becouse a change in the active speaker used in the C312X1 (that is a custom speaker made for ATS following custom characteristics and the final one is more efficient than the previous one), so the cab needed the upgrade to be the final version :)

[EDIT] OPS...cross-posting :)

In the future, 'cause I'm also the maintainer/serviceman here in London for him, probably it'll be possible to have custom adjustments but...work in progress :)))
PS: I didn't write "repairman" 'cause these products are so strong and well tested and reliable that is veeeeeery difficult that a break could happen ...but in case...here I am :)

You're all a bunch of effing amateurs and dilettants, especially this Warwickhunt bloke.
At this very moment, I'm construing a tunable speaker cone and tunable baffles. They'll be mounted in a lightweight case with tunable harmonica sides - flexible but ultra stiff.

When you carry it, it's a lightweight 112. On stage, it'll turn into a stable 810 within seconds.

The built in Brüel & Kjaer mic automatically folds out, measures the room and tunes the case and everything else within seconds.
From that point on, your BassTractor iPad app takes over, and allows you full programmed and live control over your cab - even within the frame of a song.

[i]BassTractor - - Total Commitment For Your Total Awesomeness.[/i]
;)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1371418988' post='2113789']
You're all a bunch of effing amateurs and dilettants, especially this Warwickhunt bloke.
At this very moment, I'm construing a tunable speaker cone and tunable baffles. They'll be mounted in a lightweight case with tunable harmonica sides - flexible but ultra stiff.

When you carry it, it's a lightweight 112. On stage, it'll turn into a stable 810 within seconds.

The built in Brüel & Kjaer mic automatically folds out, measures the room and tunes the case and everything else within seconds.
From that point on, your BassTractor iPad app takes over, and allows you full programmed and live control over your cab - even within the frame of a song.

[i]BassTractor - - Total Commitment For Your Total Awesomeness.[/i]
;)
[/quote]

Bastid! Wish I'd thought of those minor tweaks to my design.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1371419284' post='2113797']
minor tweaks
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that! You just made June 17th a beautiful day in Tractor Manor. It can't be ruined anymore.

b,
b

Edited by BassTractor

GREAT night...!

http://hoxtonjamnight.co.uk/next-week-hoxtonjam-ft-lyricl/

I'm the BIG pleasure to announce that, in collaboration with Mr. Samer Sharawi, the "Hoxton Jam" will be the place where bass players can have a tryout of ATS together with the band. B) B)

Amazing resident band, the venue sounds amazing, amazing people and musicians ! :)

New photos added on my facebook page :)))

Ok ... So :D

Tonight the Rig will be at 'Bar Solo' in Camden for the Jam Session.

Tue 25th of June (tomorrow) it will be at Pizza Express in Soho, played by the great bassist Dario Deidda, who is playing with an AMAZING band (I'm currently here at the rehearsals and... trust me.. GREAT !!)

Wednesday the ATS rig will be at the Hoxton Jam (see previous messages for details).

• 2 weeks later...