Why become a member? ×

Russian big muff issues

Damonjames

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1369807472' post='2092852']
Having trouble with my big muff at the minute, I'm not getting any output, then if I press
Down on the volume knob it intermittently works. Has anyone else had this? Is it just a dry solder joint?
[/quote]

Could be one of a few things to do with the volume pot itself or the connections to it, have you opened the pedal and had a look at the wires running from the pot?

Edited by TG Flatline

The wiring loom inside those old Russian Muffs is notoriously thin stuff. It could be a dry joint, the pot could be dicky or (worst case) the gossamer-thin wire needs replacing. I might have some pots in my man-shed taken from a Russian Muff if you'd like me to have a wee look?

Yeah I'd agree on the build quality, it's pretty ordinary. It's such a shame as most of the electronics are Ex soviet military grade from what I understand and they do sound amazing. Just had a quick look, the solder looks ok at first glance. Ill try it again at rehearsal tonight and see if I can isolate the problem

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1369818018' post='2092963']
I repaired a green Russian Muff for a friend which had more than one bad solder joint, so it's definitely a weak spot on these. Actually I was surprised how shonky the insides looked for something which is considered such a holy grail of fuzz! It did sound good though...
[/quote]

If you remember how cheap these were when they were sold new, you probably wouldn't be surprised at all!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1369854038' post='2093605']
If you remember how cheap these were when they were sold new, you probably wouldn't be surprised at all!
[/quote]
This is true, I remember seeing them in Victor Morris in Glasgow in the 90s. I was thinking more of the price they fetch nowadays!

DC power sockets on these can be a bit tricky, as I seem to remember it's something quirky like a positive ground. Fitting the socket is easy enough, but wiring it up so that it does't buzz can be a bit of a minefield...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1369854038' post='2093605']
[/quote]

£40 for my first one - brand new from Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester - many, many moons ago.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1370470791' post='2101637']
I think I may have found the problem, I noticed there is a blue wire with a ring lug on it floating about inside the casing. I think that it should be grounded to the chassis???
[/quote]
yup, use one of the screw on feet to attach it to the case or any of the 4 screws on top and trap it between the 2 halves of the case.

Edited by paul_5