Why become a member? ×

Best Headphones for bass????!!!!

bubinga5

Those senhiesser HD215's look great, cheers guys.

Not to bothered about how Hi Fi they are, as long as i can hear the bass clearly.

Can i ask how well they keep the noise in/out?
for instance ill be using them in my living room while the Tv is on. im not too worried about the sound getting in but i would rather not disturb the family too much (have to avoid slapping during eastenders).

[quote name='sk8' post='216278' date='Jun 10 2008, 04:05 PM']my wife hasn't complained since i've had them :)[/quote]

I dont get complaints when i use my Grados but when my son is using them i can hear just how much sound is leaking out.
of course these are open backed.

Im pretty sure we used to have a set of these but I'll order another set and give them a go.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='215580' date='Jun 9 2008, 06:04 PM']My set-up runs thus;

Pre-amps >>> 8 track mixer >>> Sennheiser HD215.

The HD215s are a pair of mid-priced, closed-back, circumaural headphones. They are DJ-oriented , and keep a lot of the noise in and out (if that makes sense!)
Bass (the frequency range - not the instrument!) is not difficult to reproduce in headphones, it just lacks the physical effect that we're all used to experiencing from loudspeakers;
There's no Floor shaking or booming room.
As a result, it's often perceived that the system lacks bass. When one listens beyond these traits we usually associate with "good" low frequency reproduction, it is found that headphones (especially the better ones) are refreshingly free of many of the problems that no loudspeaker system can escape in terms of;

Time smear, frequency response, bandwidth, room interaction and sensitivity, to name but a few.
Plus, you can get up and play at 3am and not upset anyone!

On the downside, they can be SO revealing, they'll betray all your bad playing habits and any weaknesses elsewhere in the set-up!
Also, if you use headphones for a long time, it can be disconcerting when you switch back to cabinets!

Finally, watch the volume! Headphone volumes have a tendency to creep up as you practice, so you have to make a concious effort to keep the levels down!![/quote]
I am not sure that I agree with everything you have said here. The down side of using headphones can be that the equipment you connect them to may have been designed to maximise battery life, and not to maximise the ability to drive good headphones. For example, I can hear a difference in the quality of bass between my personal CD player, and the same unit connected via a headphone amplifier. However, if you are using a mains powered mixer to feed the headphones, this may not apply.

Well my 215's just arrived and im quite happy with them considering how cheap they are of course.
The do certainly keep out more noise than my SR60s' but thats no surprise. The low end seems a bit cleaner. A bit weaker i guess but some would say thats more natural. certainly these will be great for practising with. Ill be able to hear the low notes better without the mud.

My set up (for anyone even vaguely interested) is Bass in to my PC, played through either NI guitar rig or mostly, the Ampeg software. you can load an mp3 in to it and loop it or slow it down but generally i just play the file with VLC or MPC. Output from my M-Audio 2496 just goes in to a pair of very cheap Creative speakers that have a headphone out. This of course is the weakest link but i dont actually listen to any other music on my PC except for learning songs.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='216585' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:25 AM']I am not sure that I agree with everything you have said here. The down side of using headphones can be that the equipment you connect them to may have been designed to maximise battery life, and not to maximise the ability to drive good headphones. For example, I can hear a difference in the quality of bass between my personal CD player, and the same unit connected via a headphone amplifier. However, if you are using a mains powered mixer to feed the headphones, this may not apply.[/quote]

That's quite true, and I [i]do[/i] use a mains-powered mixer!!

I like the Tascam MP-BT 1, however, i am on my second one as the power switch is very weak, and it has now broken again. Also, because i got mine at sound control, i have got to deal with Tascam direct which means post etc.
But, when it works, it really is a good sound.
matt

Got a pair of Etymotic Research noise isolation earphones. It's the closest thing to having audio jacked directly in to your central nervous system. I use them for mixing down tracks on the tascam. You can pick a set up for £130 if you look hard. Well worth the investment and better that so-called noise cancelling sets as the earplug design completely shuts out external noise. Great for flying and down the gym too...

If you don't mind in-ear headphones then I would recommend the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-Moda-Bass-Frequency-Headphones-Black/dp/B000FUESSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213961655&sr=8-1"]V-Moda Bass Frequency Headphones[/url].

I got a pair last weekend and they are fantastic - loads of bottom end. I originally got them for my ipod but now use them to practice through - way better than the no-name rubbish I was using before.

Recommended