Why become a member? ×

Finding myself as a bassist.

AntLockyer

I've been trying to write this for days but it never really sounds right, I just want to share my little journey for the sake of sharing :)

I have played different musical instruments since I was 5, starting with guitar the list goes on to include recorder, steel pans, trumpet, electric guitar, drums, bass guitar, harmonica, piano and a whole bunch of electronic music making equipment.

I've never been really good at any of them but drums were my main instrument having had instructions from some great teachers. Been in a couple of bands but nothing came of any of it and I've only played maybe 20 gigs in total across all instruments.

About 10 years ago my friend lent me a bass guitar and I enjoyed playing it for fun to the point that when he took it back I went and bought my own. I never could read the bass clef, didn't know the notes on the fret board (apart from the open strings and the 5th and 12th fret). I continued to dabble for years until I finally decided I needed an outlet. I'd played in a couple of blues jams on harmonica and enjoyed them greatly. The blues scene here in North Kent is thriving with some very talented guys all having a lot of fun at different places. I decided that would be my outlet and I needed to get good enough to play bass in the jams.

So with that last I took lessons from Chris (dudewheresmybass) on here and he taught me a general curriculum with some slant towards the blues. Unfortunately money is tight and I had to stop but Chris gave me a great grounding in technique, some reading ability, and a better sense of how to use the instrument. Many months went by with me just playing the same stuff on my bass that I learned at Chris', never really stretching out.

Then I went on holiday, I had a pile of magazines and a couple of books on my Kindle. Between a couple of Jeff Berlin QAs in the magazines, The Art ofPiano playing and half of Victor Wootens's book I was looking forward to getting home and playing the bass. The general thought was that I should just plug my mp3 player into my amp and play along, not worrying about the notes, just the groove. Practice parts of it slowly without the music playing then play again with the 'band'. At all times thinking in my head what I wanted to play before my body played it.

What a revelation. I could suddenly play bass. Rather than worrying about learning all the songs I might encounter at the jam I jsut said to my friend Paul (who is a great guitarist) that I'll go to the next one. I went along and was 1 of 2 bass players, I was therefore going to have a busy night. Of the 8 songs we played I knew 2, most were 12 bar with only the quick 4 being a variation, and a couple of songs I knew but had never played (Doors and something else that escapes me now).

I coped with all of it, played well for most of it, listened and supported the other musicians and had a jolly good time. I knwo it isn't carnegie hall and a lot of people look down on jam nights but I enjoyed it and like the fact I can turn up, get to play with people for free, learn more in a night at the pub than I could on my own for a week and chat about music.

My practice now is pretty much playing along to records and not trying to play the original bassline, just playing my own part and I think I'm improving rapidly.

Thanks for reading.

Well done Ant. When I started to play just over 30 years ago, I would play along to the top 40 chart show. Obviously not all the right bass lines but with a groove that fitted. It taught me great timing and to listen to what was going on.

I remember some really simple but effective bass lines by artists like Kim Wilde, Keith Marshall (only crying), Status Quo.

I also think that a great way to move forward is to play with other people. It's the one thing I tell people to do. Learn to Jam!!

Enjoy Ant

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1369640634' post='2091022']
Practice parts of it slowly without the music playing then play again with the 'band'. At all times thinking in my head what I wanted to play before my body played it.
[/quote]

open mic nights are good because unlike the recording where you know what is going to happen next , youre not quite certain what the other players are going to do so you do tend to concentrate even more on listening and feeling what the others are doing

i see youre in orpington - there is a good open mic night not to far from you on monday nights just outside maidstone :D

Nice post ;)
You are multi talented . At the age you were starting, I was still breaking toys .
For years, I was learning in birthday bands just doing root notes and taking instructions from Mr.Guitar ( who first showed me how to play bass)
I put it down to the fact of; no confidence, always working ( very early hours ), and frightened to play out of the box in case I sounded too much like les Dawson . And growing up in a large family .
It wasn't till I got my own space and had to relax and listen to cover songs that I improved.
Also, in the'80s slap was everywhere and I was running before I could walk. I'm a metal head who hates most funk (wtf) ;)
Anyway. , back to the thread ;)