Why become a member? ×

Advice, Double bass pre amp

Harry

ok great will check them out, i'm using a realist pick up with it, find it quite heavy sounding so wanted something to even it off a bit, all i have at the moment is a sadowsky pre and a sansamp but i did find an old Ravenslab blender that i forgot about, i know they used to use them a lot with uprights

http://soundchunks.com/RL_PMB-II.pdf

Fdeck preamp. It does wonderful things to piezos and has a variable hi pass filter. I can now happily plug into any amp and not worry. I have spent so much time EQing when it turns out that all I needed was a decent front end. He does not export to the UK but some of the guys on TB will happily act as middle men. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fdecks-hpf-865291/

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1369605819' post='2090884']
Fdeck preamp. It does wonderful things to piezos and has a variable hi pass filter. I can now happily plug into any amp and not worry. I have spent so much time EQing when it turns out that all I needed was a decent front end. He does not export to the UK but some of the guys on TB will happily act as middle men. [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fdecks-hpf-865291/"]http://www.talkbass....cks-hpf-865291/[/url]
[/quote]
Just read up on it, looks very interesting, how long you been using it? which series model do you have? Prices on them are pretty good

I have an fdeck too. Its great going into the front of a regular amp as it tames the boom from very low frequencies and has the all-important phase (feedback) control. What it will not do is be an emergency backup DI should you have amplification problems and it doesn't have any EQ abilities. Very useful device

[quote name='Harry' timestamp='1369608111' post='2090911']
Just read up on it, looks very interesting, how long you been using it? which series model do you have? Prices on them are pretty good
[/quote]

I've been using it for maybe 4 years. I honestly have not missed the super EQ options of other setups I have owned (and believe me, I have tried most of what is out there). I still have the EQ on my amp for minor tweakage. I have a series one and a series two. The one is great, but the vol on two makes it just that bit more useful. It is amazing how much of a difference taking the real low frequency out makes. I always used to think that the more LF I had, the more fun I was going to have. Not true. The Fdeck buffers my piezo (Full Circle) better than anything else I have tried (Fishman Plat EQ, Headway, GK MB 500, Aguilar TH500, Avalon U5, Demeter HBP 1, REDDI, Aguilar DB659, Acoustic Image, Monique etc etc yawn yawn yawn). I am not running a list of front ends as a "check me out" event but purely to stress that I have done extensive research. The Fdeck really has made things simple for me.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1369608388' post='2090913']
I have an fdeck too. Its great going into the front of a regular amp as it tames the boom from very low frequencies and has the all-important phase (feedback) control. What it will not do is be an emergency backup DI should you have amplification problems and it doesn't have any EQ abilities. Very useful device
[/quote]

ok great thanks, looks like the fdeck is defiantly worth having ( have to work out a way of getting one , maybe get hold of the series 3) and the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Headway EDB-1 seems a fantastic option for the DI side of things :) [/font][/color]

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1369643347' post='2091051']
I've been using it for maybe 4 years. I honestly have not missed the super EQ options of other setups I have owned (and believe me, I have tried most of what is out there). I still have the EQ on my amp for minor tweakage. I have a series one and a series two. The one is great, but the vol on two makes it just that bit more useful. It is amazing how much of a difference taking the real low frequency out makes. I always used to think that the more LF I had, the more fun I was going to have. Not true. The Fdeck buffers my piezo (Full Circle) better than anything else I have tried (Fishman Plat EQ, Headway, GK MB 500, Aguilar TH500, Avalon U5, Demeter HBP 1, REDDI, Aguilar DB659, Acoustic Image, Monique etc etc yawn yawn yawn). I am not running a list of front ends as a "check me out" event but purely to stress that I have done extensive research. The Fdeck really has made things simple for me.
[/quote]
Thanks, i need to check out the differences withe the series 3 now, see what they are

cheers

I've had both. The 3 series has a more sturdy metal case (2 series is plastic) and a new algorithm on cutting off low frequencies which has a set level and a variable level. TBH, I can't hear the difference, I prefer the 3 series as its less likely to break if it drops on the floor. But that said I've never dropped it on the floor! Horses for courses, both are good

I have a Plat Pro that I used with my previous amp (a Roland) with a Bass Max pickup. However, I recently bought a GK MB150 amp and I prefer the sound without the Plat Pro. The Bass Max does have a relatively high output though so this arrangement might not work with other pickups.

I guess the best approach is to try a pickup/amp combination and if it sounds crap, has feedback etc then a preamp is probably required...

Just in case you're inclined towards a bit of DIY, Mr Deck has published the schematic for the series 2 HPF pre. He unambiguously states he's happy for people to use the schematic to build their own. Its a simple but elegant design, and I reckon anyone who builds their own stomp boxes could knock one up easily enough. I intend to build one for myself some time. The link to the schematics is here; [url="https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxocGZ0ZWNobGxjfGd4OjQyNGJhOWE3YzdjMDY0ODg"]https://docs.google....OWE3YzdjMDY0ODg[/url]

Edited by Beer of the Bass