Why become a member? ×

RH750 vs GK MB800 !

dudi8

well i cant speak for the GK but the TC can do all that with ease, thanks to an EQ with 4 sweepable centre frequencys, and an excellent onboard compressor.
it is extremely handy having the 3 user memories too, for quick sound changes on stage.
i love mine, although it did take a bit of tweaking to get my sound (just because of the flexibility of the EQ)

Not tried either amp mentioned, but have had TC Classic 450 & GK MB500 & GK MB Fusion 500. I`d say that of those, the TC was the more versatile amp. It has a great on-board Spectra-Comp compressor, and the Tubetone is very nice as well. You can go from crisp clean slap sounds to out-distorting Lemmy with the twist of a few controls. If I were doing session work, I`d probably get a TC rig for the versatility.

• 2 weeks later...

I happen to own both these amps. Both are great, can't go much wrong with either IMO. :)

RH750 is the more versatile of the two, amazing EQ and features: 3 memory presets (which includes preset level, brilliant!), built in tuner, good compressor, tube tone, universal volt...just killer.
You dial in pretty much anything but a big, wide, open uncompressed low end.

Cue MB800 - it has exactly the uncompressed big lows the RH750 lacks, and is also very bright out of the box. Great GK eq, channel A and B which are for different gain structure only, eq remains the same.

RH750 has lots of warmth/midrange distortion built in, but despite its warm character it never lacks clarity to my ear. The MB800 has that famous GK aggressivenes in the upper mids.

Two very different, but great amps.

I prefer the MB800 with my Barefaced Big Twin because that cab has no restrictions in the low end it seems. That particular cab and the RH750 works well enough, but with a wider
more open head like the MB800 the cab just sings. :) With more traditional cabs though the RH750 is amazing, so I keep that with the RS210/RS212 stack.

As for being loud I was very surprised that the RH750 seems to keep up with the MB800 volume wise - both are silly loud amps. In the RH750's case this is of course on the cost of a
more compressed low end, but still those 236 watts are quite impressive.

If you have one of the Big series cabs, or a fEARful or some of that ilk, I'd recommend the GK. With more traditionally tuned cabs my nod goes to the RH750, especially for what you are describing in your initial post. Unlike many people I am not too crazy about slap through GKs, I don't like that much distorted and aggressive upper mids for that. This can of course be tamed some by eq, but the character is still there.

IMO!

• 3 weeks later...

I now own that streamliner! (Thanks David!) Glad you got the RH750 you were after and hope that it fulfils all your expectations.
I'm now patiently awaiting a BF Midget T to put that GB through. Very patiently!