Why become a member? ×

EQ ?? question.

kulabula

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1369233803' post='2086684']
I have always used a smiley face on my eq. I keep going back and trying to redo it with "only my ears" but it always comes out the same, but, even though it sounds good to me, the comments here keep knocking my confidence in it. Although, thanks to the resonant frequency of this room, it's now a smiley face with a buck tooth, my amp looks like a bloomin' Hillbilly.
[/quote]

Mids are grossly over-rated on this forum. If it sounds good, who's complaining?

I usualy start flat and tweek as required,then the drums start :( ,the great sound I had vanishes, :angry: but fighting with drum over tones can help with finding the "cut through"sound I like, :D when the guitar fires up its beer time, :gas: sort out any problems later as gig progresses.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1369233217' post='2086672']
EQ with your ears and not with your eyes.
[/quote]

Yes, FFS your eyes are for seeing, your ears are for listening! I'm so sick of people trying to judge sound by looking.

I did a little test on myself when mixing the other week. I wanted a high pass filter to cut out any unnecessary subs. I put the filter on but I was convinced I could hear it, even though it should be mostly below what I can actually hear. So, I got a friend to turn it off and on while I closed my eyes - I had no idea when it was on or off!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1369303791' post='2087442']
I would expect to make minimal adjustments to the EQ, or none at all. If you are in that situation you have the right amp.

IMO, excessive EQ adjustment means you have the wrong amp for you.
[/quote]

Exactly! EQing can't get you the sound you want, just give preference to a certain frequency, which won't get you the sound you want.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1369274696' post='2087259']

Mids are grossly over-rated on this forum. If it sounds good, who's complaining?
[/quote]

Maybe.... but mids are often the key to sounding "good" - certainly in a band/stage scenario. Recording and home practice are different things altogether.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1369307243' post='2087500']
Maybe.... but mids are often the key to sounding "good" - certainly in a band/stage scenario. Recording and home practice are different things altogether.
[/quote]

It simply depends on the nature of the instruments you're playing with. If you're having to find space around a hard-hitting drummer and a wall of distorted guitars, you'll struggle without mids. But there are applications where a mid-scoop can function effectively too.

I wish some of you would finally understand that good EQ'ing means to push every band to the max. Those and the volume knob. That way, your gear WILL find the frequency holes the others leave you for your bass. Simples. B)
Sorry - couldn't resist.

b,
b