Why become a member? ×

Speaker replacement

steviedee

I'm going to replace the driver in my busted CXL112. I was quite honestly knocked out by how heavy the it was. But the cabs are so well made I want to try and keep it.

I'm a novice at this type of thing are all 12 inch drivers the same size or do I need to go for an Eminence like the original? So far I've seen the Eminence Basslite, Deltalite but I could pick up a Celestion BN12-300s for reasonably cheap will it fit?

Thanks for any advice,

Edited by steviedee

sadly it isn't as simple as this. Most speakers are a similar size but the bass response goes to pot if you put them in a box the wrong size. The problems are multiplied if your cab is ported as the ports tune the cab to that specific speaker. To match your cab we'd need to know the internal volume and the size and lengths of any ports.

Add on to that the sound of a speaker is only very loosely correlated with its size, Not all 12's sound the same so changing the speakers and then matching the cab to driver will still leave you with a very different sounding cab. It could be better or worse or just different.

Someone might know what the original Eminence was and if you want to keep it simple then just put one of those in. Plenty of people here will help choose a speaker if you give them your dimensions but be prepared for head spinning detail.

Thanks for the replies. I think the drivers were custom made for EA but I've noticed them being replaced by Deltalites. I know it wont sound the same but it's really just for a practice rig but obviously I'd prefer it to be decent. The Celestion BN12-300s don't get the best write up but I could maybe pick one up cheapish so I'm weighing quality and finance here!

Thanks for the replies. The speaker is really very heavy. It has no visible signs of damage but I'm getting a tiny, trebley signal which I googled and doesn't bode well. I mentioned in an another post the pa guy at a gig sneaked onstage and cranked my amp to make up for an underpowered pa. I'll keep a hold of the driver and see if I can get someone local to look at it.

I always found it to have quite a clean sound, not a great deal of colour from the speaker. Looks similar to the Aguilar potentially a bit bigger. The driver is an eminence with a tweeter attached, I'll get a pic up.

I've picked up a Celestion BN12-300s for half the price of the Deltalite, I know they are not highly regarded but it's really just for a practice rig in the house so hopefully I can make up for lack of bottom end with eq and it's not a huge waste of cash if I can get the original driver repaired.

[attachment=135050:eafront.jpg]

Edited by steviedee

I'd look into the crossover as well..had one of those cabs for a long time (may be the same one?) and they go very loud before stress, so you would have noticed quickly if it was turned up that loud. Wouldn't worry much about the co-ax for bass use. I always turned it way down, and only ever used it for vocals or acoustic guitar. Remember the cab design is supposed to be a transmission line, so that may complicate the speaker options.

Good news is if you replace that monster speaker you will have a much lighter cab. I always thought the size was perfect for a gigging all rounder..it was only the weight that bugged me.

Replaced the speaker with a Celestion I think it sounds great and it's just really for using at home. It's so light in comparison. When the posty delivered the speaker I didn't know what it was it weighed so little.