Why become a member? ×

Is this a really bad idea?

Adam.M

Well, i've been offered a marshall JCM900 series 4x12 cabinet for £100

Now, i also decided to leave guitar playing behind because bass is far FAR more fun.

Would putting some neo-mag speakers in here, say the celestion ones, be a good idea? under 3kg a speaker!

I LOVE the look of a marhsall 4x12 over any other cab i've ever seen, and with four neo-mag speakers it wouldnt be all [i]that[/i] heavy!

But sonically, would the shape of this slanted cab just make it sound terrible?

Cheers!

Adam

As Bill has said it 'could' turn out to be a dog's dinner BUT... occasionally accidents happen and it may sound fine; conversely it may result in a tone that you love (others might hate but hey it's your cab and sound)!

If you feel that you need to experiment and are prepared to live with whatever results OR take the speakers and build design a cab around them, which for a 4x12 (or poss x2 2x12) would probably be on the large side to get the sonic best from them (I think Bill, Alex and others will keep me honest in this respect); then just go for it.

However TBH you may as well buy or make a 'bass' cab rather than throw good money after bad. :)

I've used a slant faced Marshall cab for the last 25 years - other cabs have come and gone, but I've always hung on to this one. It uses ordinary guitar speakers and I've not had a problem with it (aside from the weight!). I was considering one of BFM's cabs and was wondering how the bottom end would compare to the 4x12 - I found [url="http://www.aikenamps.com/Marshall4x12response.htm"]this[/url] the other day.

As you can see, they don't have a great bottom end but in practice they're very usable, depending on what you're looking for of course.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='210977' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:33 AM']...was wondering how the bottom end would compare to the 4x12 - I found [url="http://www.aikenamps.com/Marshall4x12response.htm"]this[/url] the other day[/quote]

Great link, very informative!

If replacing the speakers in a Marshall 4x12" with bass guitar speakers, I'd replace just one vertical pair, block the the other slant speaker hole and block the other lower speaker hole with a suitably sized tuned port. That would give the woofers enough volume to operate well for bass use. However, it would weigh a ton compared to a modern 2x12", it may be a bit wobbly and need extra bracing to perform well for bass, and generally be a bit of a silk purse out of sow's ear scenario...

Alex

[quote name='Adam.M' post='210891' date='Jun 2 2008, 01:25 AM']I LOVE the look of a marhsall 4x12 over any other cab i've ever seen[/quote]

If you like that look, you could try a BFM Omni 15. They look like 4x12s with the right grille on - it wouldn't be hard to do one in black Tolex with white piping.

[url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5880"]Omni 15s[/url]

Andy

[quote name='Musky' post='210977' date='Jun 2 2008, 05:33 AM']I was considering one of BFM's cabs and was wondering how the bottom end would compare to the 4x12 - I found [url="http://www.aikenamps.com/Marshall4x12response.htm"]this[/url] the other day.[/quote]
At 50 Hz the Marshall is 30dB down from average, an Omni 15 is down 3dB. That 27dB differential means that what the O15 will do with one watt input at 50Hz would require 500 watts into the Marshall. But this assumes the Marshall drivers could make use of 500 watts, and being guitar drivers they can't, they're excursion limited to only 5 watts or so at 50 Hz. :)

As you might guess from my choice of cab, bass extention isn't a big worry for me. I was initially thinking an O10.5 as it had less roll off below 100hz and was good for size/weight. Having seen the graph for the 4x12 I realised that I don't necessarily need much below 100hz anyway, so was considering the OT12 despite it being a bit bigger and heavier. I'm guessing that the OT12 is a bit less mid focussed as it doesn't have the rising response at 1K.

Thanks the the replies guys :)

I think i'll be buying the cab having the left half with bass speakers and the right half with Celestion Vintage 30's or Hot 100's for guitar... seperate inputs for each, that'll be the home rig sorted then :huh: or a versatile 'small gig' cab.

[quote name='Adam.M' post='211484' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:14 PM']I think i'll be buying the cab having the left half with bass speakers and the right half with Celestion Vintage 30's or Hot 100's for guitar... seperate inputs for each, that'll be the home rig sorted then :) or a versatile 'small gig' cab.[/quote]

If you do that then you'll have to divide the cab internally to stop all sorts of weirdness happening. Two bass 12"s in half the volume of a Marshall 4x12" are going to be very short on bottom, just be prepared for that.

Alex