Why become a member? ×

Alternative to Ampeg SVT Stack

Gully35

Found this thread while searching, lots of great info!

My situation is a little different as I have a SVT 6x10 and not wanting to scale down....... I love my late 70's SVT, but it is heavy and has been a bit unreliable, so want to move on (I'm playing more drums these days.... It sat for months, went to turn it on the other day and it's not working).

Something I'm unclear on or unsure about is what is the best power amp is in this scenario.... and is there any added benefit to going tube over solid state? (Carvin makes a tube power amp)

Also, there were some mentions about the Tiny Terror and the the Little Mark Tube, anyone want to weigh in on those some more? Would running the VT or Microtubes pedals through one of these make sense?

Thanks!

Well I had a Little Mark Tube, and an Orange Terror. The LMT - well the tube at home-practice volume adds a slight bit of fur around the sound, stops it from being super-clean, but that`s all. Not dissing it though, I thought it was a great amp. The OTB - mucho gain on tap, far too much for me, couldn`t have the gain on more than 9 o`clock. The eq wasn`t the most flexible either. For me Markbass seems to sit in the mix in the same place as Ampeg, especially when using a Precision.

I`m now using the VT DI through a 1x12 Markbass combo with 1x12 ext cab. I couldn`t be more pleased with this pairing. I set all the Markbass (LMII amp) eq at midday aside from the filters, leaving them off, then use the eq on the VT DI to get my sound. It really works for me. I can go from a nice warm valvey Motown-type sound to a twangy mid-present punk sound to a full on way too much gain Lemmy type sound. Added bonus is doing it this way it`s great for recording and using provided rigs as all of my sound is in the VT DI.

As I've said in other threads. A lot of heft comes from preamp and EQ stack, IMO of course.

Also a lot of SVT sound comes from the sealed enclosure, you have that, so anything lightweight with enough juice to get t going and something like a SVT pre or a VT bass will help.

If you are after changing cabs too, there are a lot of options out there.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1368373633' post='2076225']
To be honest, since I used an Ampeg rig back in the day I've been trying to replicate 'that' sound. Various sims and pedals can get you very close, but there's nothing like the visceral experience of a real fridge behind you.

I've kind of accepted that if I want that sound again the only way to get it is to buy (and haul) another Ampeg rig. :)
[/quote]

This. Plain and simple

[quote name='Gully35' timestamp='1368362713' post='2076064']
Is the micro VR with 210av x 2No. Loud enough to cope with a drummer and 2 guitarists? That would be a good option If it was.
I'm kind of swaying towards a Markbass Little Mark iii.
I'm struggling to find 2 good quality 2x10 cabs to pair with it. Easier for me to move around than a 4x10. The markbass cabs seem to get bad press online, plus they are pretty expensive.
[/quote]

I've heard this rig ( VR and 2x210AV ) struggle on average volume gigs... it had a horrible distorted buzz of a sound with no oomph at all.
I would have put the bad signal down to the SG bass had the amp/cab sounded like it had any guts.

If you are going to hear it I'd definitely want to wind it up and hear what it could do.
If you must have Ampeg, the Portaflex unit was nice ...but I could only get it to shop level.
As far as volume goes... the EQ is the EQ ( limited ) and you better like it,....
the SVT3 and 410 ticks a lot of people's boxes. Not capable of a sophisticated sound, IMO,
but then that is not Ampeg anyway.

Edited by JTUK

I would say depending on your budget, two good options are two of the SVT 210avs, paid with a better head that can handle its power they can get pretty loud, and much better overall dispersion when stacked vertically over your regular 410.

Next time I've got 800 quid spare I'm buying two of the barefaced retro 210s, which seem a better alternative to either a 410 or the SVT 210av.

I used two of the SVT 210s for a while and never felt I lacked volume, but they performed much better with a better power amp and a HPF on to stop the big lows making them fart out.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1400595957' post='2455291']
I would say depending on your budget, two good options are two of the SVT 210avs, paid with a better head that can handle its power they can get pretty loud, and much better overall dispersion when stacked vertically over your regular 410.

Next time I've got 800 quid spare I'm buying two of the barefaced retro 210s, which seem a better alternative to either a 410 or the SVT 210av.

I used two of the SVT 210s for a while and never felt I lacked volume, but they performed much better with a better power amp and a HPF on to stop the big lows making them fart out.
[/quote]

Aguilar Tonehammer plus two of these little cabs sounds like a nice idea. One of those SFX Thumpinators to stop the extra lows a possible.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400603396' post='2455375']

Aguilar Tonehammer plus two of these little cabs sounds like a nice idea. One of those SFX Thumpinators to stop the extra lows a possible.
[/quote]

Certainly, used two with a MB head and had a thumpinator too. Also played with a high pass filter set a little higher, around 40hz, and the cabs definitely benefit from not having to try and pump the lows so much.