Why become a member? ×

ID on UK made bass, anyone?

mzdt

I have to say that I am pretty sure that this bass [i]isn't[/i] a Status of any description , but what it actually is I have no idea . The styling looks kind of mid - 1990's to me , but that is just a vague impression I get .

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1367970625' post='2071886']
Looks like early Status. Before the graphite days. Send a picture to Rob at Status and see if I am correct.
[/quote]

Status started out graphite only, they ventured into wooden necks briefly in the mid 90s but have gone back to graphite only. The "guitars" part of the logo does look a lot like the Status logo of that era, the neck joint and general neck appearance is roughly similar so I can see why you thought it might be.

But it definitely ain't!

Edited by Fat Rich

Hi again - glad to see it wasn't immediately obvious to all but me ;-)

I omitted to mention the Samick logo on the tuners - at the time I assumed they may supply to other makers or part of the modifications that hve been done to it - but a bit of googling based on that suggests it's a Samick Saturn 5; certainly the body, if not the neck; haven't found a satisfactory pic of a saturn head yet.

the logo/writing still intrigues - it looks like 'SJP guitars' to me - but google comes up with nothing on that. I can't help feeling it is unlikely to be a different, UK made neck, what with the neck/body fitting, so I think - there's been a bit of sanding, either someone has built a new neck or just played about with the oroiginal and put a different logo on. Cheeky to have 'made in UK' though!

A 'shed project', like the man says... ;-)

It plays OK; haven't really had time to try it through a decent amp. Came from a car boot sale for a more than reasonable price; I've been playing a [Thomann own brand, but not bad) acoustic fretless 5 string for folk stuff for a while, sxo was tempted by a fretted solid body.

Thanks for all suggestions. Like dogs, it's the character not the pedigree... ;-)

That does look a 90's RBX body , its the same shape as the one I have, except yours has a selector switch on. Looks like the body has been sanded to the wood though. AFAIK the 90's RBX colours were red (which mine is) white or black.

Actually, seeing that shape in natural wood colour kinda makes me want to take a sander to mine!! Looks really nice.

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='mzdt' timestamp='1368085033' post='2072888']
I omitted to mention the Samick logo on the tuners - at the time I assumed they may supply to other makers or part of the modifications that hve been done to it - but a bit of googling based on that suggests it's a Samick Saturn 5; certainly the body, if not the neck; haven't found a satisfactory pic of a saturn head yet.
[/quote]

Pretty big omission! :lol: It clearly is a Samick Saturn, I reckon someone's cut down the headstock to make it less pointy.

[indent=1]Name on machines only left out initially as I didn't think it was that big a clue - ignorance, not willfull - tbh few of my other basses have anything useful on them, as I recall - Westone, Shergold, certainly not the Ashbory, possibly the Aria fretless...[/indent]

[indent=1]The selctor switch has been replaced by an allen screw - and the socket, presumably ropey, has been replaced by one set into the rear electronics cover plate![/indent]

[indent=1]It's nice looking, agreed, always preferred wood finishes (and non-clones, hence Westone & Shergolds). I wonder if Yamaha & Samick bodies came from the same place at that time, or had designer connections? It's not a field I know that much about.[/indent]

[indent=1]A new set of strings, refurb/replace the electrics and I'll see what happens.[/indent]

[indent=1]Thanks, everyone.[/indent]

Looks like Samick were building for yammy back then.

Samick have built for almost everyone over the years. I like it when these kind of things turn up. When I got my first bass (Washburn xb120) my friends brother vot his bass around the same time. A Stagg branded bass which apart from the routing was identical to my Washburn. Probably both Samicks or corts

Edited by throwoff