Why become a member? ×

New (lighter) Shuker JJB

The Dark Lord

I've known about this for some time as I asked Jon Shuker if he could make me a lightweight, 5-string Jazz bass.

He mentioned he was prototyping a new bass for JJB and explained how the body was going to be constructed. Sounded perfect for me as well so I asked him to build similar for me although I'm going for a slightly downsized Jazz-style body instead of the P bass shape and a set-neck which means even more weight saving. Jon seems fairly optimistic he can get close to a 7 lb bass for me.

Still a couple of months to completion (I must chase him up on progress) but I'll post an update/review when I pick up the bass.

Specs are: 5-string Jazz body with set neck. Flamed maple neck with vintage tint, rosewood board & MOP blocks. Finished in Sonic Blue with matching head stock & a Tort plate. I'm going for an extra mint green plate too and decided on a P/J configuration with a passive-only circuit, so vol/pan/tone controls. Oh and some neck LED's to finish it all off! Cannae wait.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1367774533' post='2069306']
I've known about this for some time as I asked Jon Shuker if he could make me a lightweight, 5-string Jazz bass.

He mentioned he was prototyping a new bass for JJB and explained how the body was going to be constructed. Sounded perfect for me as well so I asked him to build similar for me although I'm going for a slightly downsized Jazz-style body instead of the P bass shape and a set-neck which means even more weight saving. Jon seems fairly optimistic he can get close to a 7 lb bass for me.

Still a couple of months to completion (I must chase him up on progress) but I'll post an update/review when I pick up the bass.

Specs are: 5-string Jazz body with set neck. Flamed maple neck with vintage tint, rosewood board & MOP blocks. Finished in Sonic Blue with matching head stock & a Tort plate. I'm going for an extra mint green plate too and decided on a P/J configuration with a passive-only circuit, so vol/pan/tone controls. Oh and some neck LED's to finish it all off! Cannae wait.
[/quote]

A six string version could be my next bass.

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1367764510' post='2069176']
This might just push me over the edge to get one of these ..... if the new model becomes available.

Will cost more probably, but it's only money.

[url="http://stranglers-ratter.blogspot.co.uk/"]http://stranglers-ra...blogspot.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

I'm not trying to stir things here, but weren't you posting about being strongly opposed to all of the companies who make upmarket Fender copies just a couple of weeks back? The Shuker must be one hell of a bass to change your tune quite so comprehensively!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1367791852' post='2069559']
I'm not trying to stir things here, but weren't you posting about being strongly opposed to all of the companies who make upmarket Fender copies just a couple of weeks back? The Shuker must be one hell of a bass to change your tune quite so comprehensively!
[/quote]

Indeed. You are spot on there. It's why I haven't bought one already. I fervently disagree with anyone who copies [i]anything[/i]. Not just guitars, I mean [i]anything[/i] in life. I think the world would be a better place if everyone tried to innovate in everything they do.

In fact, I didn't realise that a Warwick I once had was a rip off of a Spector, so I felt compelled to ditch it.

Take this for example [url="http://www.coda-music.com/bass-black-secondhand-p-15482.html"]http://www.coda-musi...nd-p-15482.html[/url] which I just spotted on another post here. Brilliant bass, highly desirable, not copying anyone. It CAN be done. IMO other bass companies are just too lazy and cynical to try it.

Which brings me back to your point. If it wasn't "he who transcends us all" that plays it then I wouldn't be tortured like this.

I'll go away now and flog myself while continuing with the dilemma.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1367777434' post='2069383']
That there Shuker of yours is mighty fine looking.
[/quote]

Cheers - it is my favourite bass ever, and it actually sounds & plays better than it looks.

I keep staring longingly at Shuker Jazz basses. Must resist.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1367774533' post='2069306']

[/quote]

Wow, that sounds well cool mate!
Any pics of this "in progress"?...

Eude