Why become a member? ×

So 1 hour of work or a £25 set-up loses you £600... discuss

Have this set-up and it'll be worth £600 more... so get it done you lazy bar-steward and see if you are right! :lol:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Streamer-Stage-1-Bass-Guitar-/140970151010?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20d279cc62"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Streamer-Stage-1-Bass-Guitar-/140970151010?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20d279cc62[/url]

I've had a look at this bass but I was dubious about it needing a set up when it appears to be for sale from a music shop, surely a shop would get it set up properly in order to maximise it's sale potential.

I put it on watch last time but haven't bothered with the re-list this time

I bought a 2005 immaculate version of this bass from the Bass Gallery. It cost me £1K and that included a setup as i collected it. That was about 6 months ago.

IF the bass offered needs a setup, I recon there's a reason they've not done it. Stuck truss maybe?

Edit: just seen "No returns accepted"... hmmm

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1367755900' post='2069060']
So is it worth £800?

Seems a decent price for one of these?
[/quote]

TBH the value is (as always) what someone will pay... I'd not give £800 for it but I would for a nice early one.

I think saying that it is worth £600 more after a set-up is ludicrous and as has been pointed out if he is flagging up that it needs setting up, I'd want to know why it isn't done? Truss rod might be a concern (not as common as folks think) and it'll not have the easy remove truss rod but if it isn't an easy fix (again 'why' hasn't he done it) to set it up, you could be looking at a pig of a bass to resell... unless you moved it on and told the next potential owner it just needed a set-up! :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1367759029' post='2069111']
TBH the value is (as always) what someone will pay... I'd not give £800 for it but I would for a nice early one.

I think saying that it is worth £600 more after a set-up is ludicrous and as has been pointed out if he is flagging up that it needs setting up, I'd want to know why it isn't done? Truss rod might be a concern (not as common as folks think) and it'll not have the easy remove truss rod but if it isn't an easy fix (again 'why' hasn't he done it) to set it up, you could be looking at a pig of a bass to resell... unless you moved it on and told the next potential owner it just needed a set-up! :huh:
[/quote]
+1, however in the last listing he had a photo of the back of the neck and there was no volute. Saying this am I right in thinking the truss rod should slip straight out on this design?

Edited by jimbobothy

The only access point to the truss rod I can see on mine is the one in the headstock. It has a though neck, so it's not like you take the neck off and access it that way. So I'd be interested to know how you get to it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1367838681' post='2069992']
The only access point to the truss rod I can see on mine is the one in the headstock. It has a though neck, so it's not like you take the neck off and access it that way. So I'd be interested to know how you get to it.
[/quote]

The early Warwicks had a truss rod that could be removed by slackening/straightening the truss rod/neck and then inverting the bass or pulling the rod with a suitable tool, the rod slid out and could be reversed/replaced.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1367759029' post='2069111']

[/quote] not tempted to ask him? just for the craic?

Mmm, maybe if the neck does resemble a banana then trying to get the truss rod out isn't going to happen very easily, hence the price!! If you could knock him down a bit more and then get is sorted it might work out ok, however I'm not doing it ;)