Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone mind if i have a moan about one thing & praise another?...

indiegrungesound

... Because I'm going to anyway. I finally had a look at a Hartke HyDrive 112 cab. They had one at PMT in Manchester. I decided to see just how easy it I to carry one. Now they are light, but does anyone know why they only have just one side carry handle? It is, IMO, one of the STUPIDEST design flaws in cabs going today. I also think that Ampeg's flip top Portaflex cabs are as bad too! Anyone else agree? On the plus side though, I also got to hear a guy play a TC Electronic BH250 head. It was with A Musicman going through an Ashdown 4 x 10", and it sounded BEAUTIFUL!

Edited by indiegrungesound

Nice cabs the HyDrive 112, but yeah clueless design in my mind, no one carries something like that with a single carry handle! However that's not quite as bad as my Ashdown EB180, it's a damn heavy combo coming in at around 30KG yet they have only put one VERY flimsy handle on top when it needs two handle around the centre of gravity! It's shoddy designing! Forever a nuisance to manoeuvre!

Begs the question who else has spotted ridiculous designs with amps!

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1367426918' post='2065560']
... Because I'm going to anyway. I finally had a look at a Hartke HyDrive 112 cab. They had one at PMT in Manchester. I decided to see just how easy it I to carry one. Now they are light, but does anyone no why they only have just one side carry handle? It is, IMO, one of the STUPIDEST design flaws in cabs going today. I also think that Ampeg's flip top Portaflex cabs are as bad too! Anyone else agree? On the plus side though, I also got to hear a guy play a TC Electronic BH250 head. It was with A Musicman going through an Ashdown 4 x 10", and it sounded BEAUTIFUL!
[/quote] I went into a music shop a few months ago and heard someone demoing a BH250 head and thought it sounded pretty sweet too

I used to have a Hartke Pro 4200 cab which was enormous and weighed a ton and had a rather daft design flaw where the handles had raised, embossed logos on them which left said logo imprinted on your hand when you carried it anywhere.

Sounded great though.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1367444801' post='2065901']
I used to have a Hartke Pro 4200 cab which was enormous and weighed a ton and had a rather daft design flaw where the handles had raised, embossed logos on them which left said logo imprinted on your hand when you carried it anywhere.
[/quote]
Now that's product placement!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1367445213' post='2065906']

Now that's product placement!
[/quote]
Best bit - didn't say Hartke on them! Can't remember what it said, but was presumably the handle manufacturer.

Edited by Graham

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1367750568' post='2068973']
Does the hartke 112 really need 2 handles? Its a easy one hand lift?

Andy
[/quote]

Compared with the current cabs in my rig, a pair of Warwick NeoPro 112s, not really. They might not be new or that well regarded, but they weigh roughly the same as the Hartkes. They are wider, but they have two side handles, which is much easier for a straight pick up & lift.
Also, I'm not the biggest guy in the world, so that is a consideration too.