Why become a member? ×

AKAI Deep Impact SB1

Yatim Halimi

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1367704269' post='2068675']

But can you put a synth on your pedal board and just kick in that one killer sound at your next gig? :)
[/quote]

Nope - but you can stomp on an equally good sounding synth pedal that's damn sight cheaper than £700!?

I had an SB1 and while it was ok the 300% profit I made was good business (although it would appear I could have waited and made 700% !).

Anyway the Zoom B3 is just as capable of those synth tones IMO- with a little experimentation.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1367689075' post='2068479']
I know lots of people think it's amazing... but I'm not one of those people. I find about 2 or 3 usable tone in that unit and I can get those tones using separate stomp boxes for less money and with more flexibility.

It's all personal preference I know, but for that money - christ, buy a Moog!
[/quote]

Absolutely! I had one and sold it because I felt it wasn't versatile and the sounds were a bit cheap! The edit capabilities are far too limited. For 700 quid you can get a lot of pedals or one hell of a keyboard synth these days...

Just a follow up on this one, I wrote to Akai and asked if they would consider bring back the beast but got this as response:

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hello and thanks for your enquiry.[/font][/font][/color]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Sadly there are no plans to bring this back – so its a case of looking hard I'M afraid![/font]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Regards[/font][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Jon Bickle[/font][/font][font=Arial]UK Sales and Marketing Manager[/font][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]
[font=Calibri]

[size=4][color=#5F5E5F][font=Arial][color=#000000][size=1][b][color=#5F5E5F]inMusic Brands[/color][/b][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=1][color=#7F7F7F][b][size=2]AIR [/size][size=2]| [/size][size=2]Akai Professional [/size][size=2]|[/size][size=2] Alesis [/size][size=2]| [/size][size=2]▲lto Professional [/size][size=2]| [/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]M-Audio[/size][size=2] | [/size][size=2]MixMeister [/size][size=2]| [/size][size=2]Numark[/size][size=2] | [/size][size=2]Sonivox[/size][size=1]* [/size][/b][/color][/size][/color][/font][/color][/size]
[/font][/font][/size][/font][/font][/color]
Sheesh, they could make a killing from the looks of it.

I have one, I didn't pay anywhere near that price, and I think it's a super bit of kit!

I have a Zoom B3, as it's been mentioned, and it's in no way comparable with all the tracking issues it suffers from. The Akai tracks really, really well, and I play tuned down to C#

No way I bought it because of Muse, I like it because it's small, offers a good range of synth sounds and it's very easy to set up.

It's become an important part of my sound, using it on its own or together with distortion when I need very big sounds!
I tried with different pedal combinations and never got the sound I can get out of my SB1, and I have all in one little box rather than three :)

Edited by PauBass

syb has dodgy tracking, ok for single slow notes though and has some squelchy sounds and nice bass wobbles (especially with exp pedal)

i think the markbass super synth is awesome, loads of great sounds, but fiddly to dial in with the software (i only ever made one sound since my computer is broken) if they had some sort of iphone app i'd probably make a lot more.

i did notice the markbass SS lacked some of the OOMPH that some of my other synth pedals had (pigtronix mothership synth) but it was the only one to sound like a 'proper' synth.

i just blend mine in a loop with an OC2 to add in the fatness.

it all depends on what TYPE of synthy sounds youre after

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1368033370' post='2072342']
I have one, I didn't pay anywhere near that price, and I think it's a super bit of kit!

I have a Zoom B3, as it's been mentioned, and it's in no way comparable with all the tracking issues it suffers from. The Akai tracks really, really well, and I play tuned down to C#

[/quote]

I find the B3 tracks as well if not better than my old Deep Impact on the Synth and Octavers/ Pitch shift modules.

However that wasn't the case when I first tried the factory presets. Since then I wiped all of the default patches and volume matched every patch to bypass before rebuilding from scratch. Tracking now excellent. Before the wipe I was having to boost/compress the volume prior to the synths/octavers which helped. I never found the Deep Impact to track that well on most patches. I found the Octave good for tracking but I felt it was a little too good and didn't sit too well with the original signal live.

I do find the sheer number of effects on the B3 to be incredibly versatile and there's quite a few original sounds to be created by mixing and matching. The Q-Tron clone, for instance, sounds better to my ears than my real Q-Tron.

Edited by Opticaleye

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1368103916' post='2073230']
I find the B3 tracks as well if not better than my old Deep Impact on the Synth and Octavers/ Pitch shift modules.

However that wasn't the case when I first tried the factory presets. Since then I wiped all of the default patches and volume matched every patch to bypass before rebuilding from scratch. Tracking now excellent. Before the wipe I was having to boost/compress the volume prior to the synths/octavers which helped. I never found the Deep Impact to track that well on most patches. I found the Octave good for tracking but I felt it was a little too good and didn't sit too well with the original signal live.

I do find the sheer number of effects on the B3 to be incredibly versatile and there's quite a few original sounds to be created by mixing and matching. The Q-Tron clone, for instance, sounds better to my ears than my real Q-Tron.
[/quote]

...I agree the B3 is a great unit, that's why I also have one :)

On the tracking issue on the SB1, I have never, never had a problem on mine.

You can fairly easily make the Akai mess up the tracking IIRC, whether the presets are plug and play or not really depends on what you plug in - but once you've set it right it behaves very well, however I suspect that's true of most of these units, certainly didn't notice the Boss I've tried in a friend's set-up (syb3?) misbehaving