Why become a member? ×

Where can I try an Ampeg B-15 out?

tayste_2000

I'm hoping to get one in the next year or so, ideally in line with my 30th birthday (so I have an excuse to buy it) but maybe sooner. Problem is I'm going off recorded tone etc as to wanting to get one, I have no idea if I want a 60's or 70's model, single or double baffle etc so wondering if anyone knows where there are some good examples, I don't mind renting the amp, or a studio for an hour or so to try it out in.

Cheers in advance guys.

V&R have one, not for sale as I understand it, but every time I've played a bass there it's sounded that bit better for going through it. Frankly it's certainly a lovely amp, but much like a pre-CBS Fender, there's new gear does the same job at a fraction of the price (and weight). My Boogie Buster sounds the same whilst providing 400% more power for half the price

C

PS having said that, I'd love one, so if Barrie's selling, investigate :rolleyes:

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1367770124' post='2069236']
Not really but how much are you asking for it btw? I assume it's for sale?
[/quote]

It's not for sale I'm afraid. It's being used by someone for a recording and it's just stored there in between sessions.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1368393077' post='2076604']
The b-15 can be pulled from my cold dead hands ;) that said the Mesa would be nice :P
[/quote]

Ha ha, know where you're coming from Steve. I love the Boogie but don't need 200+ watts of tubes. I've really struggled to find a decent low power all-tube setup, they're either too small, like the Ashdown LB, or too big like most of the Ampeg, Mesa etc. I'm pretty convinced it's going to have to be a B-15 eventually.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1368395868' post='2076663']
Ha ha, know where you're coming from Steve. I love the Boogie but don't need 200+ watts of tubes. I've really struggled to find a decent low power all-tube setup, they're either too small, like the Ashdown LB, or too big like most of the Ampeg, Mesa etc. I'm pretty convinced it's going to have to be a B-15 eventually.
[/quote]

Loads of 100w valve amps going, just get one with decent sized transformers and a recap.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1368395868' post='2076663']
[/quote]

Well I'm over in Macclesfield if you want to try the B-15 out, you can also try my 4w Matamp rig as well but we're really getting into small tube amp territory then :P I'd like to try the LB out I'd be surprised if it was quieter than the B-15 though.

100w amps I'd recommend any of those Simms Watt PA100s they are lovely and sound great, but not small